PDA

View Full Version : Why is FaceBook so popular?

Chris Edgell
December 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM
When jarlath talked about his mother and her new computer, again the subject of facebook came up.

Will you tell me what it is, what it does, and why it's so popular? My friend signed me up but I couldn't see the purpose. Is there an underlying purpose, like a free network to get in touch with everyone you've lost track of? Or is there some other underlying need it meets?

It must be some good, it seems to be all the rage, but I do fail to see. I could even see the small circle of friends but soon when I clicked in there were loads of people I don't know talking about the most trivial of things. Like tweeting, "I'm walking down Chicago Avenue."

What have I failed to see?

Sahkolihaa
December 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Is there an underlying purpose, like a free network to get in touch with everyone you've lost track of? I think that was the original purpose, but over the last couple of years it seems to have turned into a social network where people think the number of friends on their friends list shows how popular they are.

Ms_Angel_D
December 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Well I have a REALLY HUGE family, and we don't all live near one another so it's a nice way to keep up with each other. I don't get into the games and stuff on it but it is nice to log on and see what's going on with my family members.

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 26th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Today I made a casual statement about deleting my facebook account and my siblings freaked out. I guess it is a good way for them to know what is going on in my life.

Chris Edgell
December 26th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Do you think that people who do it as a family end up with the constantly expanding family...("wha'?? It takes a village??") Or to those of you who mentioned it as a family thing, do you try to limit it to family?

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Or to those of you who mentioned it as a family thing, do you try to limit it to family?
No not really. I've got more than a few friends on there. I ignore most of them but enjoy my facebook associations with a few of the better friends who I don't get to see often. Usually I just accept invitations though, so as not to hurt other people's feelings. I know that's dumb, but it's just how I do things.

Chris Edgell
December 26th, 2009, 11:13 AM
But crunchy, doesn't that lead to two people talking that you don't even know. Has it ever felt like a forum -- a vague connection?

Is it meant to feel like a chat room or something like that?

Swagman
December 26th, 2009, 11:14 AM
One Word

Bejewelled (Blitz)

It's easy to post pix for remote family members to see etc.

eg: I live in Uk but my Mom, Sis & Likkle Bro live in US. Most of my friends are in Australia.

BTW.. Apparently they are going to start charging for Facebook usage in July.

Guess I'll have to use Angels Place (http://myubuntu.ning.com) more often when that happens !!

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM
But crunchy, doesn't that lead to two people talking that you don't even know. Has it ever felt like a forum -- a vague connection?

Is it meant to feel like a chat room or something like that?
Not really. I've never really had a problem with people that I don't know getting involved in my stuff. All of my profile is only viewable by people on my friends list. I ignore most of the people on my friends list and just focus on the ones I care about really, although I admit that sometimes people that I don't really care about participate on my wall. I don't really mind. If I didn't like them at all, they wouldn't be on my friends list.

And just to be totally clear: I know/ have known everyone on my friends list. No strangers allowed.

Swagman
December 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
You can also click the hide button for people you're not interested in.. Like Mafia Wars friends etc.

user1397
December 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Completely false, oh how rumors spread.

But as far as facebook goes, I think in general it's a must if you want to be thought of as having a social life at all if you're between the ages of 14-26~ and any other age it's mostly for family reasons.

Eisenwinter
December 26th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Because people are idiots.

adeypoop
December 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM

lol very true

SuperSonic4
December 26th, 2009, 12:30 PM
The idiots are the people who add anybody, put personal details on their page for all to see and upload pictures and specific locations.

If you control privacy settings and add only people you know it's an excellent way to keep in touch and to arrange a night out for example

koleoptero
December 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM

*citation needed*

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
When jarlath talked about his mother and her new computer, again the subject of facebook came up.

Will you tell me what it is, what it does, and why it's so popular? My friend signed me up but I couldn't see the purpose. Is there an underlying purpose, like a free network to get in touch with everyone you've lost track of? Or is there some other underlying need it meets?

It must be some good, it seems to be all the rage, but I do fail to see. I could even see the small circle of friends but soon when I clicked in there were loads of people I don't know talking about the most trivial of things. Like tweeting, "I'm walking down Chicago Avenue."

What have I failed to see?

I've gotten in touch with a LOT of old school buddies, ex gf's (sometimes not a good idea), and friends i've just lost contact with over the years after moving around to 9 different states. I get on about once a week, that's about it.

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM

you're probably 10 or 11 so you have nobody to "catch up with" or that you've lost contact with over the years. not yet anyway. now go eat your cereal.

Bölvağur
December 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM
For me I just add the family and I only accept people I know and want to continue to know.... like I've rejected some people I would rather forget ^^

I really dont see the point of this website though. It doesn't really help anyone out except the people that made FarmVille... man I do not understand that thing.

ratcheer
December 26th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I am a Facebook user, but I am not so thrilled with it, either. There are a few related reasons why I use it though.

So many people use it that it is a great way to find old friends you have lost contact with. And, for some reason, people will respond on Facebook when they won't respond to emails.

So, while I find most of the Facebook content to be lame in the extreme, it is a good way to stay in touch with people.

Tim

User3k
December 26th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I personally never used Facebook (or MySpace for that matter) and I haven't missed out on anything.

Might be worth checking out.:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/12/world-reacts-new-facebook

MasterNetra
December 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Facebook & Myspace are good for keeping in contact with friends and family both have games and such but those are just extra junk. Myspace pwns facebook on theming though.

JDShu
December 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Its popular now because everybody uses it. It became popular at the time because it was a way for freshman college kids to get to know each other (it was exclusive to people with college emails, if you remember).

madnessjack
December 26th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Because it does what social networking alrite, got popular, got good, and now everyone uses it. Simple.

alakazam
December 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I found anybody who's anybody does'nt use Facebook.

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
not sure why it's such a mystery. pretty simple to figure out as madness just pointed out and this isn't the first thread of its kind.

PartisanEntity
December 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Of course we all like to stay in touch with friends and family, and services like Facebook utilize this human need.

Unfortunately, what many forget is that these sites also need to live, and so the idea of data mining has established itself as the core feature at the heart of these services.

The gradual eroding of privacy at sites like Facebook is proof of this and a sign of the times to come. Privacy is an obstacle for the Facebook business model.

These are pseudo monopolies and so they are currently dictating the user and privacy policies even though these may very well be in clash with the legal systems in which they operate.

I stay away from all social network sites. I stay in touch with family and friends through traditional and less open forms of communication: email, IM and good old phone.

Of course I am aware that many services we use on a daily basis spy on us and mine data. But using Facebook is basically like serving your privacy, habits, networks, activities, interests to the world of data mining on a golden plate.

I see Google Wave as perhaps a service that can act as a safer alternative. Google Wave will eventually be opened up in such a way that anyone can host a Wave server and develop tools and services around it. (You can choose to have it open and hence connect to all other open Wave servers or you can have a private one).

So this would allow many networks to develop outside of the world of data mining and in the hands of private individuals, groups, societies and even families who don't care about collecting every last ounce of information about us.

Pogeymanz
December 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Its popular now because everybody uses it. It became popular at the time because it was a way for freshman college kids to get to know each other (it was exclusive to people with college emails, if you remember).

This.

It's popular because it's popular. It was just for college people for a long time. As soon as they let everyone join it turned into MySpace2.0 with stupid apps and games and chats.

Pastor_JW
December 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Its not really so popular with people who know a little bit about computers. It is popular with those who need a computer cause everybody else has one and it is something even a computer illiterate can do! Interestingly, people will post things about themselves on facebook that they would NEVER tell you in person!!

CharlesA
December 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Its not really so popular with people who know a little bit about computers. It is popular with those who need a computer cause everybody else has one and it is something even a computer illiterate can do! Interestingly, people will post things about themselves on facebook that they would NEVER tell you in person!!

It's the phenomena called "anonymity" on "teh interwebz."

Got a source for the "It's not really so popular with people who know a little bit about computers." ?

I use it to keep in contact with guild mates and other people.

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Got a source for the "It's not really so popular with people who know a little bit about computers." ?

just admit it, CA, you don't know even know a little bit about computers!!!

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5647/derpgar.jpg

CharlesA
December 26th, 2009, 05:39 PM
just admit it, CA, you don't know even know a little bit about computers!!!

Damn you found me out!

Chris Edgell
December 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I have a few comments...

I'm always saying I'm sorry, I wish I would learn to spend a little more time thinking things through. I never thought of myself as having a learning disability but I can't believe how long it takes for me to "get" something. To the patient people, thanks. To the impatient, please skip over my presence.

I HAVE forgotten to search before starting a thread, I'm impulsive...I give a sad little laugh when someone tells me, "You're not the FIRST." -- and as I search NOW I find this topic was being discussed as recently as three weeks ago. I'll try harder.

Although I must admit I've gotten responses more along the lines of what I was looking for with my title "Why is FaceBook so popular" than with the title "FaceBook is stupid". I have seen just WHAT people use it and like it for, THAT makes sense. I have heard a few tips about how to use it and what to avoid, THAT'S also what I was wondering. In other words, I have seen the practical side of it -- I like that! Just what I wanted!

As far as the comments that become interspersed throughout any truth-seeking endeavor (no matter how small), I can only say, some knee-jerk reactions are age related, if only developmental age. I was 40 before I stopped calling everbody I didn't agree with "azz-holes", so "idiot" is probable a better terminology than my default name-call when I was younger. My question is if you don't like it, why read it? I'll never understand that one...is it the adrenalin rush?

But all in all, even the occasional post by a detractor, is not that bad.

One more question, is it regarded as a waste of space, a waste of resources to talk about anything that is not tech support for Linux/Ubuntu? Are there people who would rather do away with fun stuff or "off-business-topics" threads? Are "we" facing any kind of overload? Should I turn my computer off and give somebody else a chance to ask a more important question? [I'm being a little bit facetious and a little bit not.]

Frak
December 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM
you're probably 10 or 11 so you have nobody to "catch up with" or that you've lost contact with over the years. not yet anyway. now go eat your cereal.
This. Also Farm Town.

CharlesA
December 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I think that 75% of my posts are here. Don't know if that's good or bad..

Also: Am I the only one that dislikes the apps on facebook? Wish there was a "block and ignore all" setting.

Swagman
December 26th, 2009, 06:06 PM
This. Also Farm Town.

lol

[narrative voice ON]

Before FarmVille there was....

Dat Dut Daaaaaar
FARM TOWN

My Farm (http://www.upload3r.com/serve/261209/1261847363.jpeg) <--- Aint played it for about 4 months though. It doesn't work so well in Opera. My missus has this machine logged in Facebook with Firefox and I have it logged in with Opera

Frak
December 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM
lol

[narrative voice ON]

Before FarmVille there was....

Dat Dut Daaaaaar
FARM TOWN

My Farm (http://www.upload3r.com/serve/261209/1261847363.jpeg) <--- Aint played it for about 4 months though. It doesn't work so well in Opera. My missus has this machine logged in Facebook with Firefox and I have it logged in with Opera
Right, meant FarmVille.

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Also: Am I the only one that dislikes the apps on facebook? Wish there was a "block and ignore all" setting.

i don't use ANY of the apps in facebook.

chriswyatt
December 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I actually find Facebook a really useful tool but I guess it depends what people's needs are:

There have been times I've wanted to find out things going on in my local area, Facebook is quite good for that.

Lets me get in contact with old friends if I want, though I don't really bother.

Easy to connect to your friends through the Facebook apps, great for games with a community element.

Been useful before for getting people's contact details or contacting them when other means have failed.

Generally a nice thing to gape at when I'm bored out of my mind.

Groucho Marxist
December 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I use it to keep contact with close friends across the country, classmates, family and getting in touch with broadcasting alumni; Games are irrelevant for me.

markp1989
December 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM

i agree, the base facebooks isnt a bad idea for sharing photos etc (just set your privacy settings properly) but the apps anoy me . most of them are just there to steal your contact details then spam you to death.

i used it to keep in contact with old school and college mates i dont see much, some have moved away or gone to uni etc.

Chris Edgell
December 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM
"Now, every gambler knows, that the secret to survival
Is knowin' what to throw away, knowin' what to keep."

But seriously, I wish some would volunteer to tell me HOW one goes about finding old friends, any way. Every time I go to a site they want to charge me $20. There are people I'd pay $20 to reconnect to but I'm sort of afraid to start to "send" money to do so.

julianb
December 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Chris Edgell -

facebook, linkedin.com, and classmates.com are the most reputable sites I'm aware of for reconnecting with folks. You should be able to use them without paying a dime.

There are also free person-lookup sites that are more like a phone book than a social network.

Try these - you've nothing to lose.

And if you have any doubts, don't use a site that requires you to pay anything at all.

Ace1989
December 26th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I think that was the original purpose, but over the last couple of years it seems to have turned into a social network where people think the number of friends on their friends list shows how popular they are.

Nobody actually thinks that. People with huge amounts of facebook friends usually don't give a crap and don't visit facebook that often.

Chris Edgell
December 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Ah, thank you so much!

t0p
December 26th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I've posted a few photos in my Facebook album; but I prefer flickr for sharing my photos. I've got a few friends with whom I've reconnected thanks to Facebook - and for some reason, several of them communicate only through Facebook. We've all got each others' email addresses, but these friends will reply to an email by messaging me on Facebook! Flaming annoying...

spupy
December 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM
It would be a very good site if there weren't things like Mafiaville, Farmwars, open-the-box-and-get-a-stupid-fortune/gift, and don't get me started on the quizzes.

I call it "social time-wasting". :)

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 10:09 PM
It would be a very good site if there weren't things like Mafiaville, Farmwars, open-the-box-and-get-a-stupid-fortune/gift, and don't get me started on the quizzes.

I call it "social time-wasting". :)

all of which are blockable so you don't have to see them nor are they installed by default. not sure what the problem is.

ElSlunko
December 26th, 2009, 10:21 PM
all of which are blockable so you don't have to see them nor are they installed by default. not sure what the problem is.

The problem is that's where it get it's "bad" rep from. Sure there's a solution but many people are quick to think about how stupid something is just because SOME people use it for stupid reasons.

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 10:24 PM
but if people get their rocks off on playing farmville and i get mine from playing quakelive, who really gives a crap?

madnessjack
December 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
but if people get their rocks off on playing farmville and i get mine from playing quakelive, who really gives a crap?
Exactly! Some sickos get their rocks off playing with OSes...

ElSlunko
December 26th, 2009, 10:32 PM

People who see Facebook as a waste of time and those games feeding "time wasting" habits. When it comes to how lame or cool facebook is anyways.

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 10:34 PM
no worse than wasting time in front of the tv.

Frak
December 26th, 2009, 10:38 PM

no worse than wasting time in front of the tv.

Both.

koleoptero
December 26th, 2009, 10:40 PM
6 pages and none has mentioned that Facebook is the best place for a geek to find sex? I'm impressed.

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 10:41 PM
today's geek needs no such crutch. nerds on the otherhand...

koleoptero
December 26th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Hmmm point taken, but here in Greece what I said still applies.

User3k
December 26th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Careful. Don't upset the nerds, lol

http://www.fast-rewind.com/revengenerds.htm

Cavsfan
December 26th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Facebook, which I finally joined after my family bugged me a few times actually turned out
to be a good way to keep in contact with friends and family. I have hooked up with people I have
not heard from in a long, long time...

You have to watch the privacy settings and you can see the ones that know about that and the ones
who don't. Myspace may have it over Facebook on the layout (I wouldn't know as I don't do Myspace).

I too have people on my profile that I really care about and others I do not. But, everyone
that is on there I know. I have my address, phone, email, etc. listed.
I have gotten a few random girls wanting me to add them. I always send a message
asking where they know me from, etc. as I do not remember everything any more and if
they respond back with something good, I add them, otherwise not. It is way better than
classmates as far as connecting goes.
I do hate the farmville and yoville applications, but there are some good pages on there that are not games...
Sometimes you'll see a bogus poll floating around based on some lie, but other
than that I have found it to be really good.
It is worldwide and I found several people I knew in Italy on there.
So, I would say overall it is a good thing...

Cavsfan
December 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Forgot to mention that it can consume your whole life if you let it!
Let's just say there are a lot of different ways you can look at things and a lot of different things
you can look at.
Also, a group I found and belong to has probably 400 pictures on it and perusing the
albums alone can sometimes eat up a day if you let it. Plus someone is always adding more
pictures to the group. And that is just one group! I am talking about seeing pictures of people
I may know and I may not. Some I do know and some I do not. If I do know them, remembering
their name is another issue.