PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from 8.04 to 7,10, CD won't run

menace101
December 26th, 2009, 10:13 AM
So I just downloaded the 9.10 image from my Windows computer (the Linux machine doesn't have internet access), and burned that onto a CD. I tested the CD by rebooting my Windows to make sure it burned correctly and I was able to run 9.10 fine. When I put the CD into the 8.04 machine, however, I hit "Try Ubuntu without changing your computer" and nothing happens. It just goes to a black screen. Same with "Install it." I'm not sure what I did wrong.
Any help is appreciated!

I just realized I made a typo in the heading. I meant 9.10. Sorry!

tommcd
December 26th, 2009, 10:40 AM
... and burned that onto a CD. I tested the CD by rebooting my Windows to make sure it burned correctly and I was able to run 9.10 fine....
When you say you "tested the CD" did you run the option that says "check disc for defects"? If you did not run that then you should. That is always the first thing you should do, especially when you have problems like this. It will help us to at least rule out a bad CD. So check the CD for defects and report back.
If you are burning the CD from Windows, I would use Iso Recorder or Infra Recorder, and be sure to burn the CD at the slowest possible speed:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

menace101
December 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM
How imperative is it that I burn at a slow speed?

And yes, I did check for defects and the like.

Hashimi
December 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Don't burn the CD with Microsoft Software. Try any other software. I also faced with this problem before.

menace101
December 26th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Well, I'm using Alcohol 120%... I hope that's sufficient?

menace101
December 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Alright, so I tried again with another CD-R.. burned it as slowly as possible using Alcohol 120%, again, nothing.

Hashimi
December 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I burned the CD in my win 7 and had the same result. So i tried in my friends Windows Vista using Nero and it worked. Definitely don't know the reason, but this was what i did. I hope it help you solve your problem.

tommcd
December 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Alright, so I tried again with another CD-R.. burned it as slowly as possible using Alcohol 120%, again, nothing.
Did you run the option to check the CD for defects?
Burning the CD at the slowest speed will minimize the possibility of data corruption on the CD. Burning an iso image of an operating system is much more exacting, and less tolerant of errors, than burning a music CD or data CD. Each and every file on the CD has to be right.