PDA

View Full Version : softmaker or OO?

phillychease
December 26th, 2009, 05:51 AM
i was wondering cuz i saw a post here that softmaker is giving free keys.
which do you think is better?
if softmaker im getting it! :)

Uncle Spellbinder
December 26th, 2009, 05:54 AM
http://www.softmaker.com/english/

Exodist
December 26th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Sadly MS Office. But OpenOffice is coming in very close to 2nd. Mind you MSO has a few years jump on OOo. By the OOo4 release I expect the tides to turn heavily.

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 05:59 AM
office 2007

pwnst*r
December 26th, 2009, 06:00 AM
By the OOo4 release I expect the tides to turn heavily.

for home use, maybe. maybe.

gnomeuser
December 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM
OpenOffice has a lot of nice functionality. However I am concerned about the slowness, that it doesn't fit into my desktop and that it is generally to much for my needs. Lastly I don't like where OOo seems to be going especially with the proposals to integrate JavaFX.

I couldn't use SoftMaker as it's proprietary, I would rather use Open Source software.

MS Office is a fantastic product, I especially like the newer releases with the Ribbon UI which is very slick. I couldn't use it for the same reason as SoftMaker but I do still admire the fact that it is a solid well designed tool.

Currently I use Abiword for my wordprocessing needs and aside the plugin system being utterly strange (why can't I easily enable just the plugins I want, it seems to be all or nothing for no good reason). I do miss a presentation viewer and a presentation creator, for now I use Google Docs to do this. Google Docs does though seem awfully slow for most tasks, something Google says their Native Client plugin will fix but I won't hold my breath for that to arrive.

gradinaruvasile
December 26th, 2009, 06:11 AM
i was wondering cuz i saw a post here that softmaker is giving free keys.
which do you think is better?
if softmaker im getting it! :)

Dude, its free. Get it and try it yourself.
MS Office is the best because has the most features. But it doesnt have linux version.
So, use something that is written for linux...

phrostbyte
December 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM
LaTeX :)

phillychease
December 26th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Dude, its free. Get it and try it yourself.
MS Office is the best because has the most features. But it doesnt have linux version.
So, use something that is written for linux...

i use to run MS office through WINE, but it couldnt open up files i made. weird.

bpalone
December 26th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Like someone else said, it's free so get it and try it out. I grabbed it but haven't installed it yet. The reviews I found were mixed. But, Word Processors are like shoes, one size and style doesn't fit everyone. My personal favorite is WordPerfect 8 in *******, but I can get by just fine in OOo in Linux. I am looking forward to trying it out though.

Irihapeti
December 26th, 2009, 07:47 AM
As I've mentioned in another thread, I tried SoftMaker but found that I couldn't enter non-Latin characters. For many people, that won't matter, but for me it's a deal-breaker.

So I'll stick with OO for most things, Scribus for brochures and such like, and LyX/LaTEX if I ever decided to write a book or paper.

lisati
December 26th, 2009, 07:54 AM
For now it's Open Office on my laptop - both Vista & Ubunutu. It came with a trial version of MS Office which I used for a while, but I couldn't be bothered forking out megabucks to keep it alive. I'm about to shoot off and check out SoftMaker for one of my desktops (XP).

Edit: I notice that http://loadandhelp.com/home-en.html refers to a version for Linux.... interesting.

user1397
December 26th, 2009, 08:35 AM
vi :popcorn:

Psumi
December 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM
OpenOffice here as well.

khelben1979
December 26th, 2009, 10:17 PM
OpenOffice for me.

perlluver
December 26th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Don't really use office software so, OpenOffice is fine for me.