PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nvidia driver error

kenichiaeb
December 26th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Hi all, I'm new in this forum, and a little in ubuntu, before all, I'm sorry if my English is a little bad, cos I'm Argentinian and my language is Spanish.
I have been using it for 2 weeks and i love it, but there is a problem witch is teasing me.
The problem is that I installed the nvidia drivers, and the first time it worked very well, but when I turn off my computer and then I turn on it, the settings select the 800x600 resolution, and when I change the resolution again to 1024x768 and restart my computer, again the 800x600 resolution. I readied a similar problem in this forum, and I tried like 10 solutions, and none of them worked, so this is my question: how can I save the settings of nvidia?

Thanks for you help

HappyFeet
December 26th, 2009, 03:01 AM
You need to do:

gksudo nvidia-settings
Make your changes, and save. But that might not work, so here is the rest:
Do:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
then restart nvidia-settings with:

gksudo nvidia-settings
then make all the changes you need, apply, then save configuration, and it will see you don't have a xorg.conf file. A new window will open. Hit the button lableled show output, and copy the file. Leave nvidia-settings open, and open a new terminal. Do:

sudo touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf && sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
then paste what you copied from nvidia-settings. Save and reboot.

kenichiaeb
December 26th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Hi again, thank you, it worked.
But I have another problem now, the window's title and buttons are gone, I don't have the close, maximize or minimize buttons and even the shadows of the menus, I tried changing the theme for another, and rebooting again but it didn't work, what can I do now?

HappyFeet
December 26th, 2009, 04:03 AM
sudo apt-get remove --purge metacity
then

sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove
then

sudo apt-get install metacity

kenichiaeb
December 26th, 2009, 04:24 AM
There is another problem yet that i didn't see before...
The terminal doesn't work... It's just a white square, I write something but it still in blank, so I tried to do what you said trought the recovery mode and whitout the "sudo", but it didn't work either, what you recommend to do?
Thanks again

HappyFeet
December 26th, 2009, 04:27 AM
In recovery mode, you can become root and execute those commands without sudo by doing

sudo -i
then run those commands without sudo.

HappyFeet
December 26th, 2009, 04:30 AM
If you can get to your desktop, you can get a "terminal" by doing Ctrl-Alt-F2, then do the commands.

kenichiaeb
December 26th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Ok, let me try
No, nothing works...
I think I'm going to reinstall

kenichiaeb
December 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Okey, now it works perfect
The problem was that I didn't read the "Hit the button labeled show output".. actually I did, but I don't know why i didn't do it haha, what I did was save the config file with another name, and copy it's content and paste to the new file.
Anyway, now I reinstalled and done your first instruction and it worked perfect
Thank you for your help. Greetings!