PDA

View Full Version : can i install windows 7 starter with a home premium disc?

mamamia88
December 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM
i want to do a complete fresh install on my new netbook that came with windows 7 starter but i only have a home premium upgrade disc. will this work to install starter?

Dark Aspect
December 25th, 2009, 11:49 PM
i want to do a complete fresh install on my new netbook that came with windows 7 starter but i only have a home premium upgrade disc. will this work to install starter?

Maybe but it probably doesn't have a disk formatter on the disc, before I would try it I would reformat the drive with gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) first. Use the LiveCD and select NTFS, I don't know if Windows Vista/7 is compatible with fat32.

mamamia88
December 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
i am sure it does i have done it before. guess i will try it if worse comes to worse i will call samsung and beg for a disc to install it

Dark Aspect
December 25th, 2009, 11:53 PM
i am sure it does i have done it before. guess i will try it if worse comes to worse i will call samsung and beg for a disc to install it

If it has a disk formatter than I would guess that it would be able to do a clean install. It wouldn't make sense otherwise but hey its Microsoft so you never know.

mamamia88
December 26th, 2009, 12:03 AM
ok i am trying to do it now worst case scenario is that i end up with a 30 day trial of home premium on my netbook and i call samsung support and yell at them until they send me a starter disc wish me luck

rhy7s
December 26th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I imagine someone at mydigitallife (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forumdisplay.php?f=16) can walk you through backing up your OEM certificate and SLP key.

mamamia88
December 26th, 2009, 12:21 AM
i used my windows 7 key that i used too install windows 7 on this computer on my netbook and it didn't give me any errors or anything so i assumed it worked. guess i just got an upgrade to windows 7 home premium for free lol.

sandyd
December 26th, 2009, 12:28 AM
this trick worked in vista and **may** still work in windows 7.

install a new install using the home premium disk.
then, dont activate the serial.

stick the disk back in again, and upgrade it using the provided serial on the home premium box.

p.s. it wont run fast on a netbook anyways.

mamamia88
December 26th, 2009, 12:35 AM
i don't know starter was pretty fast before i screwed it up trying to partition for ubuntu by deleting system partition and not backup partition which was exactly same size

forrestcupp
December 26th, 2009, 02:04 AM
You should ask this question on the MSDN forum. It's made for Windows related questions.

mamamia88
December 26th, 2009, 02:21 AM
yeah but i don't feel like signing up and you guys seem to know more about windows than alot of people

Exodist
December 26th, 2009, 03:09 AM
If you have an qualifying OS already isntalled you can. If it sees Win7 is already installed you can directly off the Win7 disc.