PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My ubuntu upgrade kinda failed...

kog6
December 25th, 2009, 10:56 PM
So ya that pretty much says it all right there, my computer froze up during the upgrade and, luckily, i can still log on but i cant do much else... can anyone help me? i cant get to the update manager or the add/remove programs or the ubuntu software center... atleast not through the desktop...
noob speak plz xD any help would be much appreciated!!!

phillw
December 26th, 2009, 12:46 AM
So ya that pretty much says it all right there, my computer froze up during the upgrade and, luckily, i can still log on but i cant do much else... can anyone help me? i cant get to the update manager or the add/remove programs or the ubuntu software center... atleast not through the desktop...
noob speak plz xD any help would be much appreciated!!!

Hi & welcome to the Ubuntu Forum.

Were you upgrading from 9.04 --> 9.10 ?
Did you take any backups of your system before you did the upgrade ?

We're going to have to drop to the command line for some of this stuff, It's under Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal Or, more quickly, the little black rectangle icon with >_ in it. Don't worry, it's a case of copy and paste.

To Copy from a code selection in a post, triple click it to highlight it, then hold down the Ctrl key and press C then in the terminal window hold down Shift and Ctrl and then press V

The one below is entirely safe - just be aware of this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?a=54

sudo apt-get moo It will ask you for your password, if it all works - you'll be greeted with a match-stick drawing of a cow

Regards,

Phill.

kog6
December 26th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Haha thanks for the post about the thread i'll keep an eye out
wats the next step? The command line works fine

kog6
December 26th, 2009, 10:07 PM
ooh nvm i got it all cleared up!
i used the script

sudo dpkg --configure -a