PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on a Dynamic Disk

guitarhero183
December 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I have just got a new laptop with Windows 7 already installed but I would like to install Ubuntu. The hard drive is set as a dynamic disk though and the Ubuntu installer doesn't recognize all of the partitions. It evens groups three partitions into one partition and says it is an unknown file system. I would like to know if there is a way for me to install Ubuntu onto a dynamic disk or if there is a way to easily convert the dynamic disk into a basic disk.

remusator
May 1st, 2010, 06:52 AM
I dunno. I have the same problem. Windows always create some new techniques how to "disable" other OS instalation. The best way to do this, is backup your instalation of windows, and create partitions by Ubuntu and then install win.

But i have been googling and found probably solution. The problem is, that windows uses something like "DYNAMIC DISK" this means actually that you can resize partitions without need to restart your PC. WTF ? Yeah, thats the only postive thing.
You have to convert your disk to BASIC DISK.

remusator
May 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM
I have found out, that there is absolutely no way to convert disk to BASIC without deleting all the data.
And once, the WIN7 is installed, it sets disk as DYNAMIC. So the only way i see, is to install ubuntu 1st and if you dont need, dont install win 7 (for me, its important > Ms Access, Delphi, Printer Solution Software..)

apple20121314
August 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I have just got a new laptop with Windows 7 already installed but I would like to install Ubuntu. The hard drive is set as a dynamic disk though and the Ubuntu installer doesn't recognize all of the partitions. It evens groups three partitions into one partition and says it is an unknown file system. I would like to know if there is a way for me to install Ubuntu onto a dynamic disk or if there is a way to easily convert the dynamic disk into a basic disk.

When convert dynamic disk to basic disk (http://www.dynamic-disk.com/convert-dynamic-disk-to-basic.html), the most important problem we will face--how to back up such large amount of data quickly? Actually, this operation can carried out through the 3-rd software and guarantee the data security. :p

rohitc
November 14th, 2010, 02:28 PM
hi guitarhero183,
have u got your problem resolved and did you install both Win 7 and ubuntu both on your disk?

- rohit

guitarhero183
November 14th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I ended up having to reinstall Windows 7. When I did that, the hard drive went back to being a basic disk. Then I was was able to install ubuntu.