PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No text whatsoever in Ubuntu 9.10 after upgrading from 9.04

marcus999
December 25th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu, but I'd had 9.04 working for a couple of months fairly well after lots of initial wrestling with it.

However, I got back to see the family for xmas and couldn't connect to wireless networks, which urged me to fiddle some more. Basically it was all working fine except I never got the wireless network working, but I had it hooked up via ethernet.

So I took a punt and decided to upgrade using the update manager, hoping this would solve my wireless woes, but alas, I ended up with the new version of Ubuntu (9.10) but no text!

What I see is simply the blank square boxes in place of every character on the menus, including the system, places, and all the icons. It's never done this before, and obviously not being able to read any menus makes fixing it a hell of a job - I'm working off another laptop for now.

Any advice over what's changed, and how to fix it, would be much appreciated! In case it helps, text shows up in Firefox, just not on the title bar of the window, or any menu for Ubuntu.

I'm pretty much a noob, so feel free to speak to me like one ;)

Thanks in advance for your help, I'll answer any specifics I can.

Cheers,
Marcus