PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 install FROM a flashdrive?

Raian the Fallen
December 25th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Okay. I have two PCs; one of them has Windows XP and will not boot. I want to install Ubuntu on that hard drive. I'm currently on my working Vista. I have a flashdrive, and I want to install Ubuntu on the other PC. But I don't want to boot from the flash drive- I want to boot from the harddrive, and just use the flash drive as an installation disk.

I tried Unetboot, with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
~Raian

darkod
December 26th, 2009, 01:12 AM
You need to boot from the flash drive the first time, and install Ubuntu. Of course, after that you will be booting ubuntu and using it from the hdd.
So, if you have the flash created with the ISO, plug it in, select in BIOS to boot from usb first, and select Install Ubuntu option from the menu.
Then just tell it to use the Erase and use whole disk option if that's what you want.
If you have problems creating the bootable usb stick, ask.

Raian the Fallen
December 26th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Thank you, I will. :D

Oh- what's the main difference between desktop and alternate?

raymondh
December 26th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Thank you, I will. :D

Oh- what's the main difference between desktop and alternate?

alternate has no GUI. It is text-based. It is, among others, used for those installs whose resources cannot support the GUI of the desktop.

presence1960
December 26th, 2009, 03:49 AM
alternate has support for RAID and LVM also.

Raian the Fallen
December 26th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Ah, thanks.

Also- I managed to get Unetbootin to work- I extracted the ISO to my drive and I'm currently booting it as we speak. I'll post any problems if I run into them.

Thank you all for your support. :)