PDA

View Full Version : Karmic caused Ubuntu to become more popular than Linux

murderslastcrow
December 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM
According to Google Trends. I think this may have been due to increased criticism/investigation of the premier Linux distro right after Windows 7 came out. Either way, Ubuntu had more search terms than Linux for a brief period in the fourth quarter of 2009.

Hwæt
December 25th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Ubuntu became more popular than what it is. Hmm... :-k

MaxIBoy
December 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Now, for Debian that would make sense.

ctrlmd
December 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Ubuntu became more popular than what it is. Hmm... :-k
:lolflag:

cascade9
December 25th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Now, for Debian that would make sense.

Umm.....debian, like ubuntu, is a linux distro (heck, debian snapshots are what ubuntu is based on!)

juancarlospaco
December 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
To the users of other operating systems(migrating) dont like the word "linux",
they start to imagine a black Terminal with green letters of unknow programming language.
:)

JDShu
December 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
People have been complaining that Ubuntu is becoming synonymous to Linux I guess. On the other hand, all we have are the number of times each term was searched for. One can draw anything one wants from that.

adeypoop
December 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM
ha ha funny. you know of course that karmic can't be more popular than linux ever though (unless it changes radically to use a completely different kernel one day)

Tristam Green
December 25th, 2009, 10:11 PM
does not compute. that's like saying I'm more popular than the human race.

Hallvor
December 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM
This whole thread is a logical fallacy.

Eisenwinter
December 26th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Umm.....debian, like ubuntu, is a linux distro (heck, debian snapshots are what ubuntu is based on!)
There is a version of Debian which uses the HURD kernel instead of Linux.

hoppipolla
December 26th, 2009, 09:55 AM
That's wonderful :) This is the kinda thing we need to see ^_^

As Ubuntu becomes a more popular and visible choice for people, obviously more people are going to think to search for that than the name of the open source kernel :)

cascade9
December 26th, 2009, 10:57 AM
There is a version of Debian which uses the HURD kernel instead of Linux.

Point. Theres also a BSD kernel debian. I dont know of anyone who uses either of them.

Elfy
December 26th, 2009, 10:59 AM
does not compute. that's like saying I'm more popular than the human race.

or John Lennon ...

Paqman
December 26th, 2009, 12:23 PM

You're being too literal, the title is just phrased that way to pique your interest.

It's interesting how you can see the spikes in search volume for the term "ubuntu" every six months. They're also starting to become big enough in the news volume (lower graph) that they're starting to stand out from the noise.

chriswyatt
December 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
To the users of other operating systems(migrating) dont like the word "linux",
they start to imagine a black Terminal with green letters of unknow programming language.
:)

Whenever I recommend Linux to people who aren't too tech-savvy I also say Ubuntu and not Linux now, for just that reason.

One person I mentioned Linux to a while and they said something along the lines of: "Yeah, but isn't that really complicated to set up".

Capitolman
December 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM
The best thing on this thread is the quote from Thomas Pain.

Gone fishing
December 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
One of the reasons is Ubuntu forums. I run Karmic at home but Opensuse on the server and work stations at work. However, if I have a problem at work I often Google something like fsck ubuntu, because I'm much less likely to get a "Read the f****** manual or line of cryptic code often irrelevant response.

Ylon
December 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM
We would have the real test for popularity when "Linux 3" will finally come out.

I'd expect Linux 3 totally rewritten to be fully microkernel OS :popcorn:

nmccrina
December 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
As Ubuntu becomes a more popular and visible choice for people, obviously more people are going to think to search for that than the name of the open source kernel :)

I agree. It's the same with Windows: people google "Windows 7" (or "Windows XP" or "Windows 3.1") when they want information, not the name of the kernel.