PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Save CD's as MP3 Files

manco
December 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone! Merry Christmas!

My brother got a new mp3 player for Christmas today, and luckily Ubuntu 9.10 has no trouble seeing/exploring the device.

I've downloaded and installed "Audio CD Extractor" (AKA "Sound Juicer") but I am not given the option to save files in MP3 format. I think this requires gstreamer lame plugin.

I'm sure there's a tutorial on this, but can anyone direct me towards it? Thanks!

EDIT:

Just followed a tutorial posted here (http://taufanlubis.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/sound-converter-%E2%80%93-convert-mp3-wav-mpeg-flv-to-oog-mp3-optional-flac-and-wav-in-linux/), and Sound Juicer seems to have the save as MP3 option now; I'll let you know what happens.

HappyFeet
December 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
The only problem I saw with soundjuicer was that it only ripped mp3's as 128kb. Try RipperX.

manco
December 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM
The only problem I saw with soundjuicer was that it only ripped mp3's as 128kb. Try RipperX.
Sound Juicer worked! I'm just glad I got the whole "save as MP3" thing down. I'll check out RipperX though.

Here's my new problem:

I can't seem to save the MP3 tags... The tags show up in VLC, Rhythmbox, Sound Juicer, and EasyTAG, but when I put them on my brother's MP3 player it doesn't have any info (although the MP3 files on the player show the info)

I booted into Windows and edited the tags in Windows Media Player, and now it shows up on the MP3 player :confused:

I might fiddle around a bit (probably some Googling too) to see if I can find a solution, but if anyone has some advice please share!

andrew.46
December 26th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Hi manco,

I'm sure there's a tutorial on this, but can anyone direct me towards it? Thanks!

If you want to try something a little different you could try a guide I wrote for these forums some time ago:

HOWTO: Convert music CDs to MP3 using the Command Line
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=535950

All the best,

Andrew