PDA

View Full Version : Video Leaked of Microsoft's Origami Project

Gadren
February 26th, 2006, 04:05 AM
http://kevintwodotoh.com/2006/02/25/hardware/origami-video-the-real-deal.html

Certainly looks like an interesting thing, but the design seems off -- the size looks uncomfortably between a PDA and laptop. Maybe they can pull it off, but it seems unwieldy.

It seemed like they really emphasized the word "FREE," with it continually appearing on the backs of T-shirts... maybe since "free" is the new buzzword, MS is trying to capitalize on it? I honestly don't see what's so "liberating" about Project Origami -- still Windows, more than likely still DRM...

But honestly, if Microsoft can make a really good product here, I may just check it out. But, like many MS products (like Longhorn -> Vista), it has a lot of hype and little meat at the end.

What are your thoughts?

Alpha_toxic
February 26th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Too big and uncomfortable. Why buy this instead of a PDA or a laptop? This looks like sth that can do everything but is good at nothing...

xhie
February 26th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Its a bulky bluetooth enabled pda? With lots of additional expensive stuff for you to buy like camera attachments, keyboards, and docking stations? Erm... I think I'll pass...

drgreborn
February 26th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Looks like an oversized PDA or a chibi tablet. weird.

tenshu
March 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM
even if i don't really love the size of "this" origami (Ms said that video were released a year ago).

I think they can justify it by apps they will provide with it.

Don't be so agressive, i'm sure they are really good things to make with this hardware!
And guess what?
I sure that a ubuntu could run in it!

Tenshu wait and see attitude

DrFunkenstein
March 6th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I find the marketing campaign MS is engaging in much more interesting than the actual device.

All this rumor, all these little tidbits of "leaked" information you get treated to on various tech sites. And it seems to work, they really created interest in this project.

P.S.: Obligatory: "And MS stole from Apple again"! ;)

Jussi Kukkonen
March 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Leaked my ***. So far Origami publicity has seemed very planned...
It does look interesting, but devices like this are quite price-sensitive. I'm not wasting any more time on this until they tell the price range (could be 300€, could be 1000€)...

It seemed like they really emphasized the word "FREE," with it continually appearing on the backs of T-shirts... maybe since "free" is the new buzzword, MS is trying to capitalize on it? I honestly don't see what's so "liberating" about Project Origami -- still Windows, more than likely still DRM...

If you're interested in devices like these and appreciate "Free as in freedom", check out Nokia 770 (http://nokia.com/770) and Maemo (http://maemo.org).

operating system and development environment are Free software
(some Nokia provided end user apps (like Opera-browser) not included)
Nice nokia style UI
amazing screen (800*480), slow processor (ARM9)
wifi, bluetooth (no phone)

The device has it's flaws, but all in all I think it's a really interesting product (not technically, but because of the software licensing and the possibilities). Nokia markets it as an Internet tablet, but it really is a more-or-less full blown linux with a Nokia-flavored usability topping.

My hope is that in a couple of years there will be several Maemo-manufacturers building internet tablets/field input devices/gaming devices/etc. on the platform... No idea if that will happen, but that would really be interesting.

s|k
March 6th, 2006, 09:07 PM
An oversized marketing campaign for an oversized product. Fits!

DigitalDuality
March 6th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I think this new market is a great thing. Unfortunately, it's from a company that i won't contribute to.

Personally, i hate laptops. Far too bulky and too much crap to carry around.

I also, hate PDAs. They're useless. $500 for what? An advanced contact organizer and thumbdrive? Oh yeah.. solitarie. Can't forget that important thing.

I'm not much of a gamer, but i used to be. I'd much prefer a computer game to that of a console. The console wars annoy me to no end. If i buy a game, it better work on a plethora of machines. And only games built for a PC will do that.

I've strayed away from mp3 players as well. I'm simply not away from a source of music for any given time, long enough to warrant spending 100-400 bucks just to listen to music on yet another device.

As for GPS units. Absurd. I can print info from google maps or mapquest for pennies (ink and paper supply) Why on god's green earth would i want a GPS unit.

Tablets impressed me. I loved the idea. Totally getting rid on notepads all together. But again, too bulky.

This..Oragami? Perfect.

Now the problem? Linux sucks on tablet machines. When that becomes functional.. i'll get one (probably a competitor to MS when the time comes) and load my favorite distro on it.

But until then. It's a no go. I am impressed though. I really wished there was more community push to have a truly functional linux tablet. There's been some strides made, but it really pales in comparisson to what MS has done with the technology.

fuscia
March 6th, 2006, 09:22 PM
looks like a refurbed newton.

Jucato
March 7th, 2006, 02:18 AM
the width and height is ok for me. I just find it too thick for comfort.
But Nokia 770 beats its a** any day. Besides, it's M$. We'll just have to see how it performs. :p

*sigh* how I wish linux devices would be available here soon.

nblythin
March 7th, 2006, 04:47 AM
It looks to me like a knock-off of the Pepper Pad (http://www.pepper.com/products/specifications.html)... but without the advantages of Linux!

I've actually played around with a Pepper Pad once - its a really nice toy. Like many of you are saying, bigger than a PDA but not as big as a laptop.... so you're probably asking what its good for, right? Simple: Surfing the web while you're sitting on the couch, or out on the patio/deck enjoying a beer!

Jedeye
March 7th, 2006, 05:02 AM
I actually think it looks kind of cool but I don't see myself ever getting one for 2 reasons.

Price - im guessing its going to be more than I can spare
Use - I just dont see myself using it that much.

Granted im not on the road much

YourSurrogateGod
March 7th, 2006, 05:13 AM
It doesn't look too bad. It would most likely do most of the things that a laptop will do. I see some people in my classes have tablet PCs and they're nifty, but pricey, imo, this would be a good replacement for them and then either a laptop or desktop could do some real heavy-lifting.

Initially the price might be kind of steep, but with economies of scale, this will fall.

Imo, Microsoft is doing exactly what it said it was trying to do, expand into newer markets and produce more products for those markets in order for the company to grow. Whether this strategy will be succesful in the long run remains to be seen.

Jucato
March 7th, 2006, 05:29 AM
OT: That pepper pad looks cool! but 12" long? And how efficient would the keyboard be?

IMO, the device itself (Origami) is nice, although a bit thick based on the pictures. (I think there are tablet PC's that are thinner?) What will make or break it will be how well it performs, especially with the Windows OS (CE? XP?).

Zeroangel
March 7th, 2006, 05:30 AM
I actually like it. Just think you can throw it in your backpack along with some other stuff. If it has a writable hard drive you could probably put linux on it and use it for things like interfacing with routers and running diagnostics on things.

Jucato
March 7th, 2006, 05:43 AM
I doubt that it would be able to run Linux, even if it has a removable drive. Knowing MS, they'll probably make it so that you can only run Windows on it. Either that or they'll make it extremely hard for the hardware to work under Linux.

But the fact that it's smaller than a laptop/tablet really makes up for it. I guess we'll have to watch and wait. March 9 isn't that far :D

Bandit
March 7th, 2006, 05:56 AM
http://kevintwodotoh.com/2006/02/25/hardware/origami-video-the-real-deal.html

Certainly looks like an interesting thing, but the design seems off -- the size looks uncomfortably between a PDA and laptop. Maybe they can pull it off, but it seems unwieldy.

But honestly, if Microsoft can make a really good product here, I may just check it out. But, like many MS products (like Longhorn -> Vista), it has a lot of hype and little meat at the end.

What are your thoughts?

Looks like a hightech etcha sketch to me..

Rotarychainsaw
March 7th, 2006, 05:14 PM
yknow, thats a good idea. apple will build a high tech etch a sketch using 2 ipod click wheels as the knobs.

Brunellus
March 7th, 2006, 06:01 PM
yknow, thats a good idea. apple will build a high tech etch a sketch using 2 ipod click wheels as the knobs.
...but it will come in a stylish case, and cost twice as much as its competitor.

IT will be launched in an event that puts Steve Jobs up on stage in front of an orgiastic press pool. Apple employees will be on hand to mop up signs of overenthusiasm.

benplaut
March 7th, 2006, 07:46 PM
An oversized marketing campaign for an oversized product. Fits!

damn your avatar!!! :o

if you really want something open and all, look at the Sharp Zaurus line. You have to buy from an importer, but the possibilities are endless once it's yours.

Mine runs xfce, abiword, thunar, firefox, and, of course, a terminal :rolleyes:

nblythin
March 8th, 2006, 01:47 AM
I actually like it. Just think you can throw it in your backpack along with some other stuff. If it has a writable hard drive you could probably put linux on it and use it for things like interfacing with routers and running diagnostics on things.If you're after one with Linux on it - just go for the Pepper Pad.

OT: That pepper pad looks cool! but 12" long? And how efficient would the keyboard be?My understanding is that it's a similar concept to the keyboard on a BlackBerry... except that its split into 2 parts, one on either side of the screen. Again, like with the BlackBerry, you type with your thumbs.

3rdalbum
March 8th, 2006, 05:36 AM
It's funny, but the picture of the Origami with the little kiddy drawing on it made me think of all those mid-nineties concept pictures of an Apple PDA.

It's a pity that Microsoft have wasted all that money on something that will barely sell. People who need computing on the go already have laptops/notebooks. Those who don't, or who want to upgrade to something better, are much more likely to be enticed by the new range of dual-core portables.

Jucato
March 8th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Also heard that it only had 3 hours battery lifetime. 3 hours?!?!

Zeroangel
March 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Well, considering that it's backlighted it's not suprising. The Zaurus, for example, only lasts a little over 1 hour with backlighting turned on (and 10 hours with it turned off).

I also doubt that such mobile computers are designed for extended periods of computing like a laptop or desktop is.