PDA

View Full Version : Study Resources Alternative

MoreRam
December 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM
As I was thinking about making this post, it quickly became apparent to me how difficult it is to discuss Bible resources in an open forum setting without difficult issues of bias arising. So I will try to keep this simple.

My computer biblical resources are primarily PDFs and downloaded websites. I put together my own package, and ultimately, itís just great, as it focuses on my own interests and reflects the bias I most preferÖ my own.

Iíve been in the Old Testament for a while now, so let me cite an example from there. Here is a link to the 1917 JPS Hebrew-English Bible, which is downloadable and free. This really is a great Bible, and IMO, exceeds other digital Hebrew versions (and in this instance, any issues of bias are so technical, that they just do not matter to most of us).

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm

OK, so for a Hebrew dictionary, I found a copy of Gensinius on e-bay for a minimal fee of under $5 with shipping, which is also in the public domain. Again IMO, this is a fantastic dictionary, and actually just as good or better than BDB. (Now if only I had a digital copy of Einspahr Ė my day will come).

I tried e-sword years ago, and it just didnít do anything for me. I tried one of its open source competitors and was shocked at the bias involved, which actually struck me as unethical. So, I just started collecting my own resources, and now Iím just amazed at what I have, and at what can be found on line that is downloadable. And I enjoy how my collection keeps growing and growing.

refdoc
December 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I tried one of its open source competitors and was shocked at the bias involved, which actually struck me as unethical.

I am not sure which "competitors" you mean, but FWIW most open source projects in this area are heavily limited by what they can get hold of. Some are more, some less bothered by whether this can be done in a legal fashion.

CrossWire e.g. will be very strict about either having publisher's permission or working with public domain texts.

No other bias exists within CrossWire. You will find TR based texts and eclectic texts, you will find Roman Catholic translations just as much as Reformed or Lutheran ones. Same applies to extra-biblical ressources - commentaries, dictionaries etc. If it is available, legal and someone makes a module from it, the module will end up in the CrossWire repos. Any bias perceived when looking at the collection of material is simply the result of the above constraints and of module maker interests.

So, I just started collecting my own resources, and now Iím just amazed at what I have, and at what can be found on line that is downloadable. And I enjoy how my collection keeps growing and growing.

Now, if you think you got something worthwhile there and it is legal to (re)distribute and it is within your ken to make a CrossWire module from it, then do so. And if it is legal and worthwhile, but beyond your knowledge and ability to make a module, then at least publish the loot on a website and allow others to help themselves/make modules. This is the way everyone will benefit.

Cheers

DOI: A CrossWire module developer

P.S. PDFs are generally pretty poor source from a practical point of view as it is often not possible to extract all relevant info from them. Particulatrly if the script is not Latin.

MoreRam
December 30th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Refdoc,

That's all nice to know.

Here's an interesting alternative.

http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/

Cheers,

samden
January 11th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the link MoreRam, I hadn't heard of Bible Analyzer before. It looks good. Nice to see a Linux version.