PDA

View Full Version : Best isp for server! Good upload speed, bad download.

dragos240
December 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Can anyone find an isp for about 20 bucks a month that has a really good upload speed and a crappy download speed? I want the best upload speed possible. It seems that the service that I wanted wouldn't be 'till jan anyways. The DSL I wanted has a blazing speed of 650kbps >.>. Can anyone tell me what works for them?

-grubby
December 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Good luck with that. It's more expensive to provide faster upload speeds for DSL than download speeds.

You really should get a VPS - it'd be the same price, but infinitely better.

dragos240
December 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Good luck with that. It's more expensive to provide faster upload speeds for DSL than download speeds.

You really should get a VPS - it'd be the same price, but infinitely better.

Too late for that. I just got tons of server parts for my server. A new motherboard, a brand new amd64 processor, a nice new case, a 1tb hard drive, and 2 gb of ram. No turning back now!

sandyd
December 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM
i got one word for ya. since you have the server already, -> colocation
or get a business DSL (not cable though, you don't wanna tell your visitors "sorry for the site's slowness, my neighbors downloading like crazy")
plus, business DSL (or at least mine) has static ip. which is really good since i don't think you wanna use a dynamic ip address. and many ISPs dont have rules against running a webserver on a Business DSL, while they have rules on a residential DSL

Gizenshya
December 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
they generally try to sell their "upload" speeds at higher prices, because it is usually businesses that need to upload data to their customers wanting info (for servers).

Want a plan with good download speed and very crappy upload speed? $50/month.

Want a plan with slightly-above-crappy upload speed with slightly-above-crappy download speed? $350/mo. (for a T1 connection, for example... but that's just the connection, you'll probably end up paying over $1k a month, after all costs and fees are added up).

[shameless rant]That is a little taste of what losing net neutrality will mean for all other aspects of the internet. They can do the above because of an oversight in the net neutrality rules. If they aren't specifically restricted from abusing abilities, they will abuse them.[/shameless rant]

alphaniner
December 25th, 2009, 06:06 PM
[shameless rant]That is a little taste of what losing net neutrality will mean for all other aspects of the internet. They can do the above because of an oversight in the net neutrality rules. If they aren't specifically restricted from abusing abilities, they will abuse them.[/shameless rant]

They will only ever be able to charge as much as people are willing to pay. This is how the market works.

dragos240
December 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Anyone have a good ISP that they use for a server?

dragos240
December 26th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Really? Nobody here has a home-hosted server?

CharlesA
December 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have a server, but I don't serve stuff to external clients. :P

lukeiamyourfather
December 26th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Really? Nobody here has a home-hosted server?

The point of a residential ISP is not to host servers and most prohibit such activity. Commercial ISP connections don't prohibit hosting servers on the connection but will run hundreds or thousands of dollars a month (and typically have equal upload and download bandwidth). If you want to host a server and a commercial ISP doesn't sound good then look for a data center that rents racks and connections like these folks.

http://www.equinix.com/data-center-locations/map/equinix-north-america/

Some small businesses and computer shops will rent rack space and connections too. A computer shop down the street from me growing up had a T3 line and would share it with all of their rented rack space for about $100 a month which was a good deal at the time for the bandwidth. If you didn't already have the hardware I'd say rent a dedicated server or virtual server from a company like Go Daddy because it'll cost you a lot less. Cheers!

bsharp
December 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I have a server, but I don't serve stuff to external clients. :P

Same here. Virtual dedicated is probably gonna be your cheapest option.