PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade from 8.04 to 9.10 unresponsive

rexxxlo
December 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
well merry xmas everyone

last night before Santa came i started the upgrade on a laptop so he could use the most recent edition of ubuntu to send an email to Mrs Claus on his whereabouts and check google maps

the lappy gets used for xp (its a dual boot) mostly, the last time i used Ubuntu on it i installed 8.04 and it worked great for months

i started the distribution upgrade and went to bed at 1 hour and 13 minutes renaming all seemed well it was 10:30 so Santa never got to send his email i hope he made it to your house!!!

this morning i wake up just where i left it with the system monitor maximized and the distro upgrade box on top of it and the fan running full speed

the text in the box is at the installing upgrades area and the info is preparing libwebkit-1.0-2-dbg

and unfortunately i did not have the terminal open so that is all the info i can give

what do i do ?

restart it and try again?
boot it from usb?
cd?

please help i afraid Santa might have got lost because of me

rexxxlo
December 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
sorry but i need to move this computer and dont want to kill it :confused:

Capitolman
December 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Not sure about this but i think i read somewhere that you should only upgrade one step at a time. IE: From 8.10 to 9.4 then 9.4 to 9.10.
I could be wrong as i am only a novice user.

raymondh
December 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hello and Merry Christmas, as well.

Previous poster is correct. You have to upgrade sequentially from hardy - intrepid - jaunty and then karmic. Also, you have to be updated in each version before upgrading to the next.

Consider a fresh install of Karmic. Or, since there is no downgrade path, a fresh re-install of hardy and wait till april 2010 for the next LTS version. That upgrade you can do without the 6-month versions as you will be going from one LTS version to another LTS.

Post back if you need assistance in fresh (possibly MANUAL) installs. If so, post also a screenshot of gparted to help visualize the HD.

Regards,

rexxxlo
December 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM
there is no serious files i cant loose in ubuntu right now

can i shut it down and reinstall with a usb drive ?

Capitolman
December 25th, 2009, 08:43 PM
raymondh your reply show`s me that i know more than i thought.

koba101
December 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
think the best option here is to wait for the LTS if you have a lot of customizations, or if you don't care either about the data or if you have no special software then just do a fresh install

raymondh
December 26th, 2009, 02:10 AM
there is no serious files i cant loose in ubuntu right now

can i shut it down and reinstall with a usb drive ?

Sure. Ubuntu has the USB creator. There's also UNETBOOTIN.