PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hello, 3dsp makes a great wifi/bluetooth card.

SinShiva
December 25th, 2009, 11:24 AM
So, i've been avoiding ubuntu. went through many distros, loved a few. namely zenwalk and fedora.

i've been modding a netbook and wanted a quick and easy way to get bluetooth, so i decided to buy this (http://3dsp.com.cn/web_html/download.html) wifi/bluetooth combo mini-pcie card. it supports virtually no other distros besides this release of ubuntu. i was very happy with my fedora 11 install, but had updated to the last fc11 kernel. i couldn't find a way to easily revert back to the kernel 3dsp supported, so i blew away the install and popped the fc11 cd into external. for whatever reason, maybe i didn't specify an option at boot, it gives me the exact kernel i need, minus PAE. so instead of looking further into it, i downloaded the ubuntu iso very early today on christmas and installed it.

i then spent some time going through drivers trying to find one that works. got it on my second try after uninstalling the first.

everything finally started to work like magic, so i started testing. ran a speedtest and lo, comcast has doubled my upload! went from 1mbit to 2mbit! tested the bluetooth with my altec lansing headset and played a youtube video. walked outside for a cig and the signal was more solid than the last 3 receivers i tried. it's an extremely solid signal for an almost exact radius around the receiver. it just reaches a point where it cuts at about 50 feet. the signal is so strong all the way until it dies that i can't complain at all, though. i've never been more pleased with bluetooth performance coming from a laptop, actually.

the wifi is rock solid, but i am unsure of it's capabilities for aircrack-ng, have yet to test, but the bluetooth performance is far more worth having than the ability to crack wep.

anyway, registered and installed this on christmas and all of the crap i went through above, my netbook has now found it's final install. talk about extreme vender lock-in. all signs seem to point here, though.

cheers [: