PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 hangs during boot after upgrade

cesium62
December 25th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I upgraded from Hardy to whatever it lets me upgrade to. The was told there was another upgrade available, I think 9.04, so I upgraded to it. Then was told their was another upgrade available, 9.10, so I upgraded to it. Now, when my machine boots, I get a white ubuntu logo and that's it. I can boot into recovery mode just fine. /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog have nothing interesting (the last entry is 20 hours old, so it doesn't look like the boot is writing to those files).

As usual, the last upgrade screwed up my grub menu.lst file by setting the VGA id to something invalid. I fixed it while in recovery mode. But that's just a random gripe while being annoyed that the OS doesn't just work.

I previously updated another computer with only the standard problems with sound and video needing to be painfully configured.

Any suggestions for how to get hints as to why the boot is hanging?

thanks, Ces

cesium62
December 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I resolved this by booting the recovery kernel, and selecting the "repair" option. After 15 to 30 minutes and answering a couple of prompts, the repair finished. The system them rebooted normally.