PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub vmlinuz_xxx for ubuntu 9.10

ic2
December 25th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Hello everybody,

I need to use the simple sequence that ubuntu 9.10 use that will works with GRUB - The GNU Grand Unified bootloader that came with Arch Linux. I worry about GRUB-2 upgrade latter if it's not the same. I really don't know.

No need to tell you the h*ll I went through as one boot-loader over-write the next. Arch was my last install, so I let Arch GRUB version be the main boot-loader until I got more free time to do it all over again.

Please don't get off track of my original question above ... but the main problem was; I could not find /boot/Grub/menu.lst no where in ubuntu 9.10 install. That was a trip for me, looking all night long for it. So I said forget it and installed ARCH linux to see if it would pick up the other installs and I'm soooo glad I made it last thing on the list to be installed.

The docs said "you'll find menu.lst in" /boot/Grub/menu.lst and it was there for Arch, un-like ubuntu 9.10 where it could not be found anywhere on it installed partition. I could have missed something but this is what I saw, all night long before going back to my 9-5 boring job that morning.

This is something I would like to understand because ubuntu will end-up being one of my main OS of study, but this has not much to do with the main question I asked above, All I need is the simple sequence that resemble what others LINUX installs use, as below:

title Arch Linux
root (hd0,19)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26=root=/dev/sda20 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

title ubuntu 9.10
root (hd0,16)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz_xxxxx=root=/dev/sda17 xxxx ... Need to know
initrd /boot/kernel_xxxxx.img ... Need to know

title WindowsXP
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader --force +1boot

title FreeBSD
root (hd0,3,a)
kernel /boot/loader

THIS IS THE ORDER OF MY INSTALL..:

It was tricky to make sda2 Primary because Windows being the first to install did not accept it and would not intall. So I gave sda1 extra BYTES and made the Extended Partition right behind it and one more Primary Partition at the end of the disk. So I got the idea to resize Primary-1 with Partition Commander after all Windows were installed. Now I got Primary-3, or is it Primary-2 as it should be called ... I'm not sure but it worked :)

Lets ask that MicroSoft don't walk over that tooooo in a service pack or the next version or that any other OS don't do the same to make thing difficult by design :(

(edit -- correction for a better clue)

sda1 Win-Vista - Primary-1
sda2 BSDI - Primary-2 created after I installed all MS Windows "RESIZING" the extra bytes.
sda3 Now we get the NEW Extended-Partition for MS-Windows AFTER all has been installed.
sda4 FreeBSD - Primary-4
sda5 Win-7 -- 32bit
sda6 Win-7 -- 64bit
sda7 waiting for Win-8
sda8 G
sda9 H
sda10 I
sda11 J
sda12 K
sda13 L
sda14 M
sda15 N
sda16 0 200,000 GB

sda17 Linux-1 Ubuntu 9.10-ext3 25004.84 used 2.46GB

sda18 Linux-2 waiting 20003.89

sda19 Linux-3 waiting 15002.92

sda20 Linux-4 Arch 10001.95 used 814MB

sda21 Linux-5 SWAP 4087.97

sda22 Linux-6 future SWAP growth 67570.18

Thanks in advance

ic2
December 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I re-installed Ubuntu 9.10 and GRUB picked up Arch Linux but it did not pick up FreeBSD. I click Ubuntu, Linux. It booted to the window showing the name I gave it during installation time which was my name. It asked me for my password. I typed my password and Ubuntu opened.

The good thing is I founded grub.cfg and included these line at the bottom of the comment as instructed.

title FreeBSD 8.0
root (hd0,3,a)
kernel /boot/loader

Then I went to save the file ... under File, "save" is grayed out and I only get "Save As", so I clicked "Save As". Then I get this:

Could not save the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
You do not have the permission necessary to save the file.
Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

So I check 10000 times, and it still did not save the file. I could not even save the file under a difference filename.

Could someone tell me what I need to do to solve this additional problem? It make no since. I followed Ubuntu install instructions to the letter.

This push me back to a week ago when I first asked about password and being the administrator.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1355603&highlight=ic2

PS: sorry if fonts were to large. I use Opera and when I set to 22 it look perfect for viewing on personal machine. No glasses needed. Now with this post I reduced it back down to standard 9, now my fonts are tiny but better viewed by the forum i guest.

ic2
December 26th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I hand-copied what ubuntu 9.10 menu.lst had, than I re-installed Arch with it Gurb version and sorted out the ubuntu info and now it works. It seems that GRUB-2 only made things more complicated. Just use kernel, not linux for older version.

One Down, One to Go :)

# (4) Ubuntu 9.10 ; ........ works perfectly
title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-14-generic on 17
root (hd0,16)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda17 ro quiet slash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic

# (5) Ubuntu 9.10 Recovery Mode; ........ works perfectly
title Ubuntu 9.10 Recovery Mode on 17
root (hd0,16)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda17 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic

# (6) Ubuntu Memtest86+ ; ........ works perfectly
title Ubuntu Memtest86+ -- it use SWAP
root (hd0,16)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

# (7) Memory Test Console; ........ Not Working
title Memory Test Console
root (hd0,16)
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
# root=/etc/grub.d/memtest86+

I guest no one never had the password administrator problem. I'm using ubuntu 9.10 -- 64 on a 64 bit quad core AMD machine, maybe that's the problem or I got a bad download, who knows.

ic2
December 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM
PS:

I think I need glasses. Things are coming to light.

Have a great day