PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Disable compiz by default for newly created users?

TwistedLincoln
December 25th, 2009, 06:16 AM
When one is running Ubuntu on a system that supports 3d acceleration, is it possible to stop compiz from being automatically enabled for new users?

I don't want to disable compiz entirely (some users may want to enable it), but don't want to force it on new users either.

I've tried various solutions using the /etc/skel profile, but nothing has worked so far. I could probably put "metacity --replace" in the /etc/skel profile's session, but then if a user decides to enable compiz it will be reset upon each login unless they change their session info...

The solution found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread?p=3770282 doesn't seem to work in Karmic, as there is no /usr/share/gnome/default.session file to edit.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

TwistedLincoln
January 20th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Can anyone help with this?

TwistedLincoln
June 4th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Any chance anyone can shed some light on this?

TwistedLincoln
September 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I finally figured this out. Place a file in /etc/skel/.gconf/desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager called %gconf.xml with the following code:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
<entry name="current" mtime="1264969576" type="string">
<stringvalue>/usr/bin/metacity</stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="default" mtime="1216184348" type="string">
<stringvalue>/usr/bin/metacity</stringvalue>
</entry>
</gconf>

If you are using an existing user's profile to base your /etc/skel profile on, you'll notice that the stringvalues are set to /usr/bin/compiz. Just change compiz to metacity, and you're all set.