PDA

View Full Version : Free Web Hosting Service?

armageddon08
December 25th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Could you guys suggest me some free web hosting services? Are there any free domain names?

lisati
December 25th, 2009, 06:02 AM
One possibility is noip.com (http://www.no-ip.com/) which has free options, and which can provide a client for your machine that automatically update DNS information needed for people to find your server if you have a dynamic IP address on your connection.

LeifAndersen
December 25th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Well, what do you want to do?
If your looking for just a blogging platform, I would recommend wordpress.com, it's what I'm currently running my blog on. You can also buy a domain name and use that.

If you want to run your own servers, you could either use noip, or dyneDNS, in fact, I believe that Twitter uses DyneDNS.

If your just looking for a toy to try out some server and client side code, and for some reason, can't use your computer, you could try 000host.

However, as a general rule of thumb, free webhosting isn't very good.

sandyd
December 25th, 2009, 06:27 AM
there are actually domains for free out there. but you know why they are free? they require you to complete offers which cost money, more than the cheapest domain name. so no, in reality no free domains. the cheapest domain registar is currently namecheap. as for free webhosts google is your friend

Warpnow
December 25th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Go to the community market, a forum moderate has a hosting company. Hosting is something like $15 a year for members of the forum. Its worth the $1/month, TRUST me, free hosts suck. One day your site is up, the next day down, the next day, your data is gone because the host closed for good.

But if you INSIST on free hosting, check webhostingtalk.co.uk, alot of free hosting offers in their subforum for free hosting.

lovinglinux
December 25th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Try http://byethost.com

The free hosting is at http://byethost.com/free-hosting

I don't exactly use it, because they don't allow users from my country, but I use another service that appears to be from their network of resellers.

Is the best free service I could find over the years and includes php5, mysql, Fantastico, Vistapanel and more. You can also select a free sub-domain through their panel.

I have been running my FF extension web site for about a year, but I also have run other personal sites for longer than that and I have no complains.

Teber
December 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
it's been years since i had any experience with free web hosting. remember there aint no such thing as a free lunch. somebody pays for it. back then advertisers paid for it. and so the host would insert code into your html to include ads. that's how clean code got dirty.

make up your own mind, but look before you leap.

pwnst*r
December 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM
good web hosting costs $. don't go the "free" route as you will wind up dumping it and paying eventually.

LeifAndersen
December 25th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Go to the community market, a forum moderate has a hosting company. Hosting is something like $15 a year for members of the forum. Its worth the $1/month, TRUST me, free hosts suck. One day your site is up, the next day down, the next day, your data is gone because the host closed for good.

But if you INSIST on free hosting, check webhostingtalk.co.uk, alot of free hosting offers in their subforum for free hosting.

Are you referring to Ubuntu-Geek's forum hosting? If so, the cheapest I could see was $5 a month (Still a good deal, and I will probably move my blog to it in a few months).

armageddon08
December 25th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Well, actually I'm new to web development and I just want to try out. I found this out, anybody tried this: http://www.co.cc/

LeifAndersen
December 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
MMm...well, if your new to web development, I really recomend that you do most of the development on your own computer.

You can turn your computer into a free webserver by typing in:

sudo apt-get install apache2 I would also recomend you do:

sudo apt-get install php5 mysql-server mysql-clent mysql-admin phpmyadmin

Once you've done that, you can put what you want in /var/www and access it from your web browser at localhost (you will also have to play with file permissions and/or ownership).

You know, I should really write a tutorial on this.

Barriehie
December 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM
MMm...well, if your new to web development, I really recomend that you do most of the development on your own computer.

Once you've done that, you can put what you want in /var/www and access it from your web browser at localhost (you will also have to play with file permissions and/or ownership).

+1 yep, and then contact an outfit like dyndns to route requests to your machine. It's what I've done and granted the page only says 'It works...' BUT it does work. :) I can host my own images etc. this way.

Barrie

armageddon08
December 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll try it out.

lovinglinux
December 25th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll try it out.

Here is the documentation on how to install and setup your server locally:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

Perhaps you will be more comfortable with XAMPP:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=223410

Warpnow
December 26th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Are you referring to Ubuntu-Geek's forum hosting? If so, the cheapest I could see was $5 a month (Still a good deal, and I will probably move my blog to it in a few months).

The $5 is for a VPS. Go to his website and click on web hosting.

Milton H
December 31st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Whenever you look for the decision of finding the free web hosting, then there are a few things that one must consider, what is your requirement, what the web host is offering, how much space they are offering, any statistics, what domain name they offer, do they offer the ability to use your own domain name or provide name servers, do their provide email address capability.