PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blocky graphics in Hardy

tomasterisk
December 25th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I looked in the archives but couldn't quite find the problem I am experiencing.

I am running my Ratel Value dual-booted (Jaunty and Hardy). I added Hardy because I was still getting some freezes in Jaunty and there are times - most of the time - I just need to get things done on the computer. But now I have a little time and would like to solve this.

The problem is that in some websites like BBC and Facebook the graphics look somewhat choppy (pixelly). Also, some of the games, like lbreakout2 and Anagramarama, produce - after just a few seconds - weird greenish backlit graphics.

Any ideas?

taurus
December 25th, 2009, 03:02 AM
What graphic card do you have and have you installed a driver for it? Look in System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers to see if your graphic card is on the list.

alancop
December 25th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Are you using the propriety drivers for your graphics card? if you dont know go to System-->Administration-->Hardware Drivers then see if any of them are checked, If not, select your video driver and click activate. if there isnt a driver for your video card then there is no supported driver yet, and i dont know what to tell you.

tomasterisk
December 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM
What graphic card do you have and have you installed a driver for it? Look in System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers to see if your graphic card is on the list.

I have "Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL)" and "Support for Atheros 802.11 Wireless LAN Cards" listed. It is all proprietary from System76, I assume.

My system used to work better than this before I tried to upgrade to Karmic. But it may have been a coincidence. All I know is that I have problems on both parts of my dual-boot. Somewhat blocky graphics here and an inability to play graphicky games; and on the other part of my dual boot (Jaunty) I have occasional freezes - plus graphic problems of a lesser sort.

tomasterisk
December 25th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Are you using the propriety drivers for your graphics card? if you dont know go to System-->Administration-->Hardware Drivers then see if any of them are checked, If not, select your video driver and click activate. if there isnt a driver for your video card then there is no supported driver yet, and i dont know what to tell you.

As far as I know I am using everything that my computer requires/makes. See other response also.

tomasterisk
December 28th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Never mind the tree falling in the empty forest. What about the post for help in the forum that is full of experts? Apparently it doesn't make a sound either.