PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Japanese Anthy Keyboard not working in Ubuntu 9.10

sobana
December 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Just did the upgrade to Karmic Koala yesterday and my anthy keyboard (icon with the crown) disappeared from my icons and from existence. I don't really know anything about linux/ubuntu. I found a site that said I needed the following packages installed, but I don't know how to install them:

scim (Smart Common Input Method platform)
scim-anthy (Japanese input method module for SCIM)
anthy (Japanese kana-kanji conversion engine)
scim-input-pad (an add-on to input various symbols)
kasumi (dictionary maintenance tool for Anthy)

I fear that it is not supported in the new version and that's why I can't find it in the list of packages to install...

Help so I can type Japanese again!

Shii
January 23rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
I'm having the same problem. So much for Ubuntu being perfect :(

Shii
January 24th, 2010, 02:16 AM
できました。

I had installed the packages listed above, but Ubuntu uninstalled the canna package during the upgrade. I simply re-enabled it and logged out to fix the problem.

Leppie
January 24th, 2010, 02:18 AM
try ibus, it's supposed to replace scim.

Shii
January 24th, 2010, 02:28 AM
try ibus, it's supposed to replace scim.

I'm happy to know what the Ubuntu devs recommend, but I couldn't find any indication that ibus will replace scim in Synaptic, and switching between IMEs makes me scared. :P

Leppie
January 24th, 2010, 02:29 AM
i'm using ibus for Korean ime ;)
works very nicely

Irihapeti
January 25th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I've had Scim and iBus installed at the same time, though only one is active at any one time. It's easy to switch between them.

Assuming that you are running Gnome, once you've got the packages installed, go to System -> Administration -> Language support. There's a box for choosing which IME you want to use. Choose the one you want (use "scim-bridge" rather than "scim"), log out and in again, and there you are. Scim doesn't show a tray icon in 9.10, but as soon as you press ctrl-space, the panel pops up as normal.

As far as I can tell, they don't interfere with each other. So you can try both and decide which you prefer.

I seem to remember that you have to specifically install anthy if you want to convert hiragana to kanji. Not ideal, as it should really be installed automatically.

temporos
March 18th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I am trying to install the Japanese and Korean IMEs. I used the Language Support control panel to install support for both languages. After logging-out, I used the lBus Preferences control panel to install the IMEs for Japanese>anthy and Korean>romaja.

I used the following settings:
Enable or disable: Ctrl+Space
Next input method: Alt+Shift_L
Candidates orientation: Horizontal
Show language panel: always
Show input method name on language bar: no
Use system keyboard layout: yes

I logged-out, but I still can't switch between IMEs. I go to gedit, and press Alt+Shift_L, but it still types in English characters. How can I get it to type in Japanese (hiragana/katakana/kanji) and Korean (hana)? I want to be able to type in "romanji" and have the IME convert it to Japanese and Korean characters for me (like the Microsoft IMEs do in Windows).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

temporos
March 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Okay, I managed to fix the problem. I'm using the following settings:

Control Panels > Language Support

Keyboard input method system: lBus
Language support installed: English, Japanese, Korean
Control Panels > lBus Preferences

Input Method: English iSpell, Japanese anthy, Korean romaja
Use system keyboard layout: yes

After a restart, I wasn't able to get the IME working. But after a day or-so, Ubuntu's package manager told me I needed an update to lBus. After installing the update and rebooting, the IME works fine!

ありがとうございます。 :D

riesengreen
March 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM
okay, i managed to fix the problem. I'm using the following settings:

Control panels > language support

keyboard input method system: Lbus
language support installed: English, japanese, korean
control panels > lbus preferences

input method: English ispell, japanese anthy, korean romaja
use system keyboard layout: Yes

after a restart, i wasn't able to get the ime working. But after a day or-so, ubuntu's package manager told me i needed an update to lbus. After installing the update and rebooting, the ime works fine!

ありがとうございます。 :d

これでできたぞ!ありがとう!

BelowGrade
April 11th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Anthy works for me in 9.10 UNR on my NetBook, with iBus. But I can not find how to get to the Anthy preferences page to set up keystrokes to select Latin, Hiragana, and Katakana. On my desktop, which I think uses SCIM instead, Anthy has its own submenu within the SCIM configuration.

Fixed: There are two versions of Anthy for iBus. You need the one with a crown icon.