PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Gnome-Do like Application for KDE?

beastrace91
December 24th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hey All,

I was wondering if there is anything like Gnome-Do for KDE?

Thanks,
~Jeff

Confuzius
December 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Katapult
http://katapult.kde.org/screenshots
I think it's installed by default on Kubuntu.

FatalChaos
December 24th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I'm pretty new to kubuntu, but I don't think katapult is installed by default, and it looks like development on katapult stopped a while ago. Gnome do and Launchy are both supposed to work on kde, but I've had some problems with each.

SuperSonic4
December 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM
What is gnome-do?

Perhaps smooth-tasks will work

beastrace91
December 24th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Gnome-do is like a smart launcher. I press a series of hot-keys and it brings up a window, I start typing and it auto finds a program with the name I have typed. It also remembers programs that you have launched in the past, so for instance after awhile since I use Google Chrome a lot all I have to type is a single letter "c" for it to pull it up and then it launches it when I hit enter.

I tried running Gnome-Do under KDE but it doesn't work :-/

~Jeff

SuperSonic4
December 24th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Alt+F2 has a search history, I only have to type in "v" and "vlc" comes up

gunksta
December 25th, 2009, 05:07 PM
ALT + F2 in KDE is similar to Gnome-Do and is much much more advanced than the ALT + F2 dialog in Gnome.

Here are some things. After hitting Alt + F2, enter this (do not hit enter)

=1+3

Or, you can find your bookmarks (only integrated with KDE bookmarks, which sucks for those of us using FireFox). You can of course launch applications and quick browse to folders.

Try it out a little. It's not Gnome-Do, but it is quite powerful and in a few ways is more powerful than Gnome-Do

GeneralZod
December 25th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I'd love it if someone would make a list of features that GNOME-Do has that KRunner hasn't - give the Plasma devs something concrete to aim for :)

beastrace91
December 25th, 2009, 11:21 PM
press a series of hot-keys and it brings up a window, I start typing and it auto finds a program with the name I have typed. It also remembers programs that you have launched in the past, so for instance after awhile since I use Google Chrome a lot all I have to type is a single letter "c" for it to pull it up and then it launches it when I hit enter.

It also has a "docky" mode, but I never use it. I just like it as a quick application launcher. It works much smoother than the alt+F2 does in KDE IMO

~Jeff

SuperSonic4
December 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I'd love it if someone would make a list of features that GNOME-Do has that KRunner hasn't - give the Plasma devs something concrete to aim for :)

That would be a great idea but a lot of people here see KDE as the devil incarnate

benerivo
December 25th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Gnome-Do seems powerful to me because of the plugins available. Two plugin examples are Opera integration and a translation function. Alt+F2 in kde seems a bit confined to what already exists in kde, although it does what it does very well.

gunksta
December 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM
That would be a great idea but a lot of people here see KDE as the devil incarnate

Did you read the OP? They were specifically looking for a Gnome-Do-like application for KDE.

GeneralZod
December 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Gnome-Do seems powerful to me because of the plugins available. Two plugin examples are Opera integration and a translation function. Alt+F2 in kde seems a bit confined to what already exists in kde, although it does what it does very well.

krunner is also plug-in based with a public API (http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/plasma/html/classPlasma_1_1AbstractRunner.html), so there's no reason why someone outside of KDE couldn't write a translator for it. What does the "Opera integration" do, out of interest?

benerivo
December 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM
...What does the "Opera integration" do, out of interest?
I think there's a bug in that plugin at the moment, as Opera 10 broke compatibility. It searches bookmarks as you type in to Gnome-Do, and will open them with Opera.

GeneralZod
December 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I think there's a bug in that plugin at the moment, as Opera 10 broke compatibility. It searches bookmarks as you type in to Gnome-Do, and will open them with Opera.

Ah, thanks. There's something similar already in KRunner which detects which browser you are using (just Firefox and Konqueror are supported at the moment) and searches the bookmarks and launches the browser with the chosen bookmark, so I imagine Opera integration should be fairly straightforward if their bookmark storage format is open.

hariks0
December 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM
It works cool in my kde. Perhaps for I have all Gnome,kde and xfce installed altogether.