PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Setting Up Compiz on Kubuntu 9.10

beastrace91
December 24th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Howdy All,

So I just did a clean install of Kubuntu on my laptop and I am having issues getting Compiz working properly under KDE. I installed the compiz-kde package along with simple-ccsm

Under Ubuntu/Gnome all that needed to be done was to go to System->Settings->Appearances->Enable Desktop Effects to get Compiz working. Is there a simple way like this to get it working under KDE? Or if not is there a howto someone might be kind enough to link me to on how to get it setup?

Thanks,
~Jeff

3Miro
December 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Are you aware that the KDE default Kwin manager has almost all of the compiz effects and is at least for KDE it works much better.

I had compiz installed on KDE 4.1, but that was long time ago. You might have to use something like "replace kwin with compiz", but I am not sure.

beastrace91
December 24th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I'm aware kwin has desktop effects... Is there a settings manager for it? I can not see how to toggle anything on/off - thusly why I wanted compiz. I cannot how ever to find anything recent about getting Compiz working under KDE...

Open to suggestions,
~Jeff

benerivo
December 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM
The kde settings are in System Settings. Look in the 'Desktop' section and then the 'All Effects' tab. To run compiz, you can install compiz itself, then compiz config settings manager, and also fusion-icon. You can start the fusion-icon from the main menu, which appears in the system tray and you can right click it to switch effects on/off and load the settings manager, Use the 'Autostart' settings in KDE System Settings to have this icon load every time you start kde.

Roasted
January 3rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
Gotta love these searches on the forums. Always quick to find answers. :) However I have one I'd like to build on... When I activate the cube, it looks weird because I'm on a dual screen setup. The cubes center themselves in between the monitors. On Gnome it would give me 1 cube per screen and it just duplicated itself, so it looked as if it was a mirrored display, which was cool to see on both monitors. Anyway I can do this on KDE?

wasd591
January 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM
On your old setup, did you have it so there were two exact screens on it? So it was just copied?