PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu, the restaurant?

Atlanta Explosion
December 24th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I randomly came across an article talking about a restaurant in Napa, CA. It's called Ubuntu.

Their logo is even orange. Odd.

http://www.ubuntunapa.com/restaurant.php

I don't have much else to add. I just thought it was funny. :)

Psumi
December 24th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Just added to the wikipedia disambig page. :)

LowSky
December 24th, 2009, 04:34 PM
did they google the name before choosing Ubuntu as the company name?

LowSky
December 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM
they have a facebook page too

http://www.facebook.com/ubuntunapa

alphaniner
December 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM
did they google the name before choosing Ubuntu as the company name?

Should it matter? According to their webpage, though the restaurant was opened in 2007, their inspiration for the name predates the OS.

Grifulkin
December 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM
The food looks awesome there.

Psumi
December 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Should it matter? According to their webpage, though the restaurant was opened in 2007, their inspiration for the name predates the OS.

Ubuntu OS started in 2004.

alphaniner
December 24th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Ubuntu started in 2004.

I realize the OS predates the restaurant. All I was trying to point out is that they didn't get the name from the OS. Not that any of it matters anyway.

wulfgang
December 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, not alot of people know about ubuntu os. People ask what 'kubuntu' is when I wear my kubuntu hat out in public. Only 1 person so far actually knew what it was.
Edit: I just saw ubuntu cola (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Cola). (This old, but new to me.)

Zeemvel
December 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Ubuntu is a sort of phylosophy in South Africa. I'm sure the makers of Ubuntu OS aren't the only ones getting their inspiration from there.

The restaurant appears to be a yoga club too. Fits the whole "phylosophy" thing.

LowSky
December 24th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah, not alot of people know about ubuntu os.

You will know it exists really quickly when your trying to build a website.

Plus Canonical might enjoy sending them a nice letter, LOL

The Trademarks

Canonical owns a number of trademarks and these include UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, EDUBUNTU, and XUBUNTU. The trademarks are registered in both word and logo form. Any mark ending with the letters UBUNTU or BUNTU is sufficiently similar to one or more of the trademarks that permission will be needed in order to use it. This policy encompasses all marks, in word and logo form, collectively referred to as “Trademarks”.

pwnst*r
December 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM
which is kind of stupid since they didn't make the word up.

perlluver
December 24th, 2009, 06:35 PM
which is kind of stupid since they didn't make the word up.

Well Microsoft trademarked Windows, come on now, everytime I say those windows are dirty, does that mean I have to pay Microsoft?

Mr. Picklesworth
December 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Trademark stuff is not a practical concern here since they are entirely different markets. If I recall correctly, although IANAL, a part of trademark law permits similar naming when products / things are not going to be confused with each other.

So, relax, people!

Frak
December 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Ubuntu OS started in 2004.

You will know it exists really quickly when your trying to build a website.

Plus Canonical might enjoy sending them a nice letter, LOL

As stated above me, they're in COMPLETELY different markets.

SuperSonic4
December 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
What are they going to do? Put ubuntu on their toasters? Everyone knows you should put BSD on toasters

nothingspecial
December 24th, 2009, 07:02 PM
The food looks awesome there.

In the city where I live is a vegan cafe/restraunt that I pass from time to time. It`s run by buddhists.

I would normally turn my nose up at vegi burgers and rabbit food but every time I pass people are queuing out of the door.

Last week I went out xmas shopping. After 5 hours I was extremely tired and hungry and passed this place again. They were queuing out the door again. So on a whim I joined it and ended up paying under 10 quid for a huge plate of some of the nicest food I`ve ever eaten.

Trouble is, I can`t remember what it was, well I know it was a pie and barley had something to do with it and there was a mound of yummy roast potatoes and loads of veg and stuff.

Now there`s no way I`m going to turn into a vegitarian, but I`ve bought myself a cookbook and our family have enjoyed a wild rice and lentil casserole this week. Really healthy and really tasty. I`d have been just like you before I walked in that place. But don`t knock it till you`ve tried it.

pwnst*r
December 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Well Microsoft trademarked Windows, come on now, everytime I say those windows are dirty, does that mean I have to pay Microsoft?

and your point? if someone opened up say a coffee shop named windows, would MS be seeking legal action?

alphaniner
December 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Trademark stuff is not a practical concern here since they are entirely different markets. If I recall correctly, although IANAL, a part of trademark law permits similar naming when products / things are not going to be confused with each other.

So, relax, people!

Yar.

Shibblet
December 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM
and your point? if someone opened up say a coffee shop named windows, would MS be seeking legal action?

LOL. I have these clear panes of glass in my house that I will eventually have to pay royalties to Microsoft for, due to name-sake licensing.

supermelon928
December 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM
if it ain't free, it ain't ubuntu.

Groucho Marxist
December 24th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I randomly came across an article talking about a restaurant in Napa, CA. It's called Ubuntu.

Their logo is even orange. Odd.

http://www.ubuntunapa.com/restaurant.php

I don't have much else to add. I just thought it was funny. :)

Open source restaurant, closed copyright infringement trial.

pwnst*r
December 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM
LOL. I have these clear panes of glass in my house that I will eventually have to pay royalties to Microsoft for, due to name-sake licensing.

erm, that's my point - that it isn't going to happen.

pwnst*r
December 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
if it ain't free, it ain't ubuntu.

by your definition.

XubuRoxMySox
December 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
What are they going to do? Put ubuntu on their toasters?

No, but alot of people put flying toasters on their Ubuntu!

-Robin

supermelon928
December 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM
by your definition.

obv

pwnst*r
December 24th, 2009, 11:02 PM
fms

Shibblet
December 24th, 2009, 11:56 PM
What the heck is this? An Egg? Phlan? Custard of some kind? It looks disgusting.

alphaniner
December 25th, 2009, 12:03 AM
What the heck is this? An Egg? Phlan? Custard of some kind? It looks disgusting.

Gotta be an egg.

chillicampari
December 25th, 2009, 12:42 AM

I'd eat it.

markp1989
December 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM

well there is a double glazing company near my house called "windows 2000" i used to see there van alot. dont know if they ever got any trouble with it.

pwnst*r
December 25th, 2009, 01:36 AM
lol

crimesaucer
December 25th, 2009, 01:52 AM

Maybe it's a soft boiled/poached Ostrich egg? I'm not really sure. (restaurant work since 1989 and a cook since 1994)

EDIT:

from their menu -

organic yellow corn grits from arbuckle *

3-day QUINCE soffrito, today’s EGG, goat’s milk ricotta

Shibblet
December 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
well there is a double glazing company near my house called "windows 2000" i used to see there van alot. dont know if they ever got any trouble with it.

So what happens when they offer free Wi-Fi? Do you have to use Ubuntu in order to gain access?

"Sarcasm is the sour cream of wit."