PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to reinstall ubuntu on a 20gb partition?

Macfunky
December 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I installed ubuntu onto a 20gb partition of my parents computer so i could use it when i visited. Problem is they no longer have broadband in the house so an upgrade is out of the question. I would like to reinstall the ubuntu install with karmic koala but i am not sure how to install to that partition manually. I used the simple dual boot install option when i initially installed it. Is there any easy way to install a fresh copy of karmic koala onto that partition that would be safe for me to do without getting too complicated? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

oldfred
December 24th, 2009, 05:43 PM
If you choose manual install then you just have to select which partitions to use for / and swap and others if you have them. It will overwrite everything so if you want to save anything make sure you have backups.

With a Karmic new install it will install grub2 and take over the booting of the computer. Do you now have old grub presenting a menu or a hidden default to windows for your parents. grub2 is a lot different than old grub.

In the grub file you can set windows to boot but the info in the quotes has to be exactly as grub found it:

find windows entry in this and copy to
gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
and copy here
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
GRUB_DEFAULT="Windows Vista (on /dev/sda1)"

I have seen some posts about ways to do offline updates but did not save any references as I do not have that problem

Macfunky
January 4th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Bump. Any help?