PDA

View Full Version : Linux XP?

Rackerz
February 26th, 2006, 12:48 AM
http://xpsite.net/data/upimages/linxp2.jpg

Linux XP Professional Edition is a universal and secure operating system for Russian speakers designed for home and business use. It is based on freely available sources from Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core.

ftp://linux-xp.com/pub/linux-xp/desktop/2006/english/

ftp://linux-xp.com/pub/linux-xp/desktop/2006/english/

ftp://linux-xp.com/pub/linux-xp/desktop

I thought this wasn't actually real, or so I was told. I'm actually downloading it's ISO now.

chimera
February 26th, 2006, 12:56 AM
http://www.allfunpics.com/data/media/5/bullshit3.jpg

btw

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/linux-xp.html

One of the reasons why Windows is so popular is its ease of use. Some innovative improvements have been made to Linux XP. For example, many users find the permissions confusing, because it's weird that a normal user can write to only one directory. It's also confusing that only the root user can install new software. Linux XP doesn't have this permission problem, because every user on this new and improved distribution has the same rights as root. This leads to increased security, because now the user doesn't have to log in as the root user at all!

This is a joke, right? I hope so... how can giving everyone root privileges possibly increase security

also

Improved BSOD. The BSOD is one thing that a Windows user sees regularly, and it may be hard to get used to the fact that there are no BSOD's in Linux. But Linux XP has it's own improved BSOD that occurs every time the kernel crashes, and because the Linux XP's BSOD has a beautiful shaded background, it's even more pleasant to watch than its Windows equivalent. Of course Linux XP uses its own modified Linux kernel, with a new code that makes the operating system crash randomly.

I declare this utter and complete BS.

(although, I wonder what the .iso contains?)

Iandefor
February 26th, 2006, 01:01 AM
This is what we call a joke... at least the tuxfiles link is.

Improved virus and worm support. The unfortunate fact is that there are many viruses for Windows but very few for Linux. Linux XP has a special support for Windows viruses, which means that Windows viruses can damage a Linux XP system just as much as they damage Windows! This makes users who migrate from Windows really feel like home. The new Outlook compatible mail client for Linux XP ensures the easiest and most efficient way of getting infected by new viruses and forwarding them to all of the user's friends. When a Linux XP system gets infected by a virus, a dialog box is displayed with a progress bar and the informative text "Please wait while your system is being damaged." At the same time some relaxing music is played in order to make sure the waiting is as pleasant as possible, since the process may take a while, depending on the virus.
Trojan Horse downloads. The Linux XP's website has huge software download archives, and the users can easily download many different Trojan horses to their system. And because every normal user on a Linux XP system has the same rights as the root user, our customers can be confident that the damages caused by Trojans are maximized on a Linux XP system, thus letting the users experience exciting moments.
Cracker friendly. Because it is very easy to crack a Windows system, we have realized that most Windows users would feel trapped if they used a normal Linux installation. Fortunately, the new Linux XP has a security system which makes sure that every possible port on a Linux XP system is open. If this isn't enough, we also have a "Cracker Invite Wizard" which walks the user through an easy procedure where he can define how, when and how often he wants the system to be cracked. As a new feature in the latest version of the Cracker Invite Wizard the user can also enable the "Script Kiddie" option and define the age range he prefers, and the Cracker Invite Wizard automatically generates scripts and little programs based on the user's preferences and sends them to the creative and talented members of the "1337 Linux XP 5cr1p7 k1dd13z community".

chimera
February 26th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah, but what about the ~640 mb .iso on their site? Anyone dl it?

Iandefor
February 26th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah, but what about the ~640 mb .iso on their site? Anyone dl it? My bet is that they aren't aware of the tuxfiles joke... so it's probably legit, just unfortunately named.

chimera
February 26th, 2006, 01:07 AM
My bet is that they aren't aware of the tuxfiles joke... so it's probably legit, just unfortunately named.

Or it's just gay pr0n?

aysiu
February 26th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Yeah, but what about the ~640 mb .iso on their site? Anyone dl it? Well, if you go to their website... the parts I could read (most of it's in Russian) seem to indicate it's basically just Red Hat with an XP theme.

Alpha_toxic
February 26th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I'm dl-ing it now, but it's very slow. Only 30k. So I'll have to wait till tomorow.
Pretty bad it's not a livecd, I'm not sure how am I going to test it (if there is anything to test that is).

EDIT: Huh? I just stopped my torrents and I got 300k, so it's not going to be that long...

mstlyevil
February 26th, 2006, 01:17 AM
New marketing strategy. The marketing strategy of Linux XP is new and innovative. We have currently sued every other company and organization that maintains and develops other Linux distributions, because the usage of the word "Linux" may cause confusion between Linux XP and other Linux distributions. We have also sued Microsoft for using the letters XP in their products, because it can lead to a confusion between Linux XP and Windows XP. Because of these lawsuits, Linux XP will be very soon the only operating system available, and every user will have a compatible environment.

Sounds like the best solution for those that want Linux to be exactly like Windows. It even includes the endless lawsuits and court actions. I can't wait to get it on my computer. :mrgreen:

Alpha_toxic
February 26th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I should say that from what I read on their official site (English is not the only foreign language I know) it sounds pretty good...
I suppose it's a bit too basic, but does what it should just fine. They say it's for N00BS, and that is not linux noobs, but computer noobs in general.

Kernel Sanders
February 26th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Clippy. Since many users migrating from Microsoft Office will miss Clippy, Linux XP has its own version of Clippy: Tuxedo, a cute penguin character that looks like Tux. Our customers can be confident that Tuxedo will be even more helpful than Clippy. For example, when the user opens a wordprocessor, Tuxedo suggests websites that teach how to read and write. And when the user moves the mouse, Tuxedo tells the user what is a mouse, how it is used, and displays a mouse tutorial.

I have laughed so hard I have just peed a little!!! :mrgreen:

Mwahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahah! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

By the way, you just know that the ISO for this is just some random distro iso thats been re-named!

Blatent ******** but hillarious! :mrgreen: \\:D/

Alpha_toxic
February 26th, 2006, 01:36 AM
AFAIKS The Linux-XP that you are all laughing at and the one at the russian site are completely different things. The russian one is based on Fedora with Gnome and doesn't look like a joke at all. It's just that they chose the wrong name...

mstlyevil
February 26th, 2006, 01:41 AM
AFAIKS The Linux-XP that you are all laughing at and the one at the russian site are completely different things. The russian one is based on Fedora with Gnome and doesn't look like a joke at all. It's just that they chose the wrong name...

And to add to that we are having a laugh at it's expense.

TechSonic
February 26th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me. If there is at least one distro out there that can appeal visually identical to XP, it can help make it easy for people to switch from Windows to Linux and from there on to more complicated distros or get them at least in the door so they can discover better sources, such as Ubuntu here.

When I say better, that's my own opinion. I am in no way telling people what to use.

briancurtin
February 26th, 2006, 02:10 AM
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=522&slide=17&title=linux+xp+2005+screenshots

Derek Djons
February 26th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me. If there is at least one distro out there that can appeal visually identical to XP, it can help make it easy for people to switch from Windows to Linux and from there on to more complicated distros or get them at least in the door so they can discover better sources, such as Ubuntu here.

When I say better, that's my own opinion. I am in no way telling people what to use.

Well, if people are looking at Windows XP graphics or similar they are going to except Windows XP or similar functionalities, options and possibilities. Especially the people who are switching. This is wrong in my opinion!

By presenting to people what Linux really is (and the related image changes through the years) people will see, know and learn what Linux is instead of landing in a Windows-alike enviroment and don't understand why they can't run .exe files.

Rackerz
February 26th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Well, if people are looking at Windows XP graphics or similar they are going to except Windows XP or similar functionalities, options and possibilities. Especially the people who are switching. This is wrong in my opinion!

By presenting to people what Linux really is (and the related image changes through the years) people will see, know and learn what Linux is instead of landing in a Windows-alike enviroment and don't understand why they can't run .exe files.

That maybe so, but what those users have to remember is that they are using Linux. It's designed to make them feel more at home with Linux.

xequence
February 26th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Yea, uh, how does having the same colour scheme and have a button called start make linux easy for computer illetirate people?

Sirin
February 26th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Linspire, anyone? (http://www.linspire.com/) :rolleyes:

Alpha_toxic
February 26th, 2006, 03:51 AM
OK, so I dl-ed it, but I couldn't install it cause anakonda crashed on me :(
Anyway I read some of the stuff on their official site and I find their view at things completely wrong. Here are some parts I've translated:

We think that for a desktop system it's fair to say "UNIX IS DEAD". We think that Unix-way is dead and Windows-way won. No educational initiatives in the way of Unix can make the users "correct". The real user is totaly not-interested in the details of Unix architecture and the process of compiling programs. The ruling of the bearded Linux Guru's, black terminals, console man-s, coding zoos, comes to an end in Linux. Here comes the time of the friendly interface. The user should not care about the problems of the developer.

Now here comes the really interesting part:

Microsoft - The best example of caring attitude towards the user's needs (!!!)
In contrary to many linux fanatics, that rose the unacceptance of Microsoft technologies to a religeous level (most often measuring their older products with today's criterions), we are extremely respectfull towards Microsoft's work. In our opinion MS is the best company in the IT bussines, recognized lider with astonishing vision for the future, with interesting and promising technologies. It is stupid to deny that the main MS products are currently standard for the majority of the users. Microsoft - this is a result of the great work of developers and managers of great skill, this is a big contribution to the IT world.

It continues with some bullsh*t and bashing at GPL, saying that linux programers are not good at making user frienldy stuff, and that linux should not be free...
btw, Linux-XP is NOT free. If I've converted the currencies corectly, it should cost about 10$. There is even some activation process. They even have an EULA!!!!

sapo
February 26th, 2006, 04:19 AM
lol..

We keep you up-to-date! Our new licensing policy helps you to have only the latest software on your system, thus being always up-to-date. When you buy Linux XP for only $1000, you'll get the right to use it for one year. After the period has expired, you'll have to buy the newest version of Linux XP and another one-year-license for $1000. If you don't buy, you'll have to pay $1700 the next time you upgrade, instead of $1000. As you can see, this new licensing policy encourages our customers to upgrade constantly. And because every new version of Linux XP has greater hardware requirements, you'll have to buy new hardware every time you upgrade your software, so you have not only the latest Linux XP but also the latest hardware!