PDA

View Full Version : is this bad?

fuscia
February 26th, 2006, 12:32 AM
i'm using sylpheed-claws for e-mail. when i get e-mails from people, i can see what they're using for e-mail and even which OSs they're using, in some cases. this isn't just people i know, this is also from people on my yahoo group.

Rackerz
February 26th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I don't think it's bad at all. It's just bits of info :).

Alpha_toxic
February 26th, 2006, 12:38 AM
It doesn't work for web based e-mail's, right? Only POP3 etc.

fuscia
February 26th, 2006, 12:40 AM
It doesn't work for web based e-mail's, right? Only POP3 etc.

i don't know.

Iandefor
February 26th, 2006, 12:44 AM
It doesn't work for web based e-mail's, right? Only POP3 etc. If you use a web-based interface, I don't think it'll include information on the computer from which you accessed the service. It might include information on the mailsever, though. But I'm not at all certain.

mstlyevil
February 26th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I love web based E-mail.

TechSonic
February 26th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Don't worry about it. It wont hurt anything, long as you don't use that information to attack them or anything. If I find out you are, I'll beat you.

Btw, Pop and Smtp owns. GO EVOLUTION!

Iandefor
February 26th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Don't worry about it. It wont hurt anything, long as you don't use that information to attack them or anything. If I find out you are, I'll beat you.

Btw, Pop and Smtp owns. GO EVOLUTION! Me no likey evolution. It leaves huge processes running on my computer. And I can't uninstall it without getting rid of some packages that are dear to my heart.

LordHunter317
February 26th, 2006, 12:52 AM
MUA have been included information about what they are in emails for years now. Most user agents just filter it out.

fuscia
February 26th, 2006, 12:59 AM

meh.

Btw, Pop and Smtp owns. GO EVOLUTION!

meh squared.

Kvark
February 26th, 2006, 01:21 AM
For webmail I think it shows which webmail service you use, which is usually visible in your email address too anyway.

It is very common to show this info, to mention a few other examples...
* Webservers you visit and their ad providers see which browser and OS you use.
* Webradio streamers can see which music player you are listening to their stream with.
* You can check what chat program people you talk to on IRC are useing.
* People who download the same BT as you can see what download program you use.

The only time when this is bad is if you use a program with known security issues. In which case the only safe solution is to switch to a more secure program. Only hiding which program you use wouldn't help, viruses don't check what you use, they just run their thing to try if it works or not and if you have the vulnerability then you're toast.

Can't think of any other situation when it would be bad... Well, perhaps if you use a very embarrasing program. Not that I can think of any programs that are embarrasing to use or why anyone would use them if they are so bad it's embarrasing.

briancurtin
February 26th, 2006, 02:12 AM
using sylpheed (not sylpheed-claws) i see the same thing, except that people using webmail (OWA) with my school dont display anything. emails from my dad and other people outside of the school display various information.

fuscia
February 26th, 2006, 02:59 AM
i'm dedicating this thread to the late, but immortal barney fife. go get 'em, little guy!

majikstreet
February 26th, 2006, 03:31 AM
that's cool lol...

no! it's mr. furley's thread!

Alpha_toxic
February 26th, 2006, 04:31 AM
btw, you know that ICQ has some privacy features? Like not letting people that you have not allowed to see if you're online or offline. But other clients like Kopete and Miranda-IM override this. Makes you think...