PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 7.04 USB Install

bert682
December 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hey guys,

Im trying to salvage some files from a disk that belongs to my sister. I am just home from university and all I have is an old 7.04 install disc here. I only have one hard disk and the installer for 7.04 only allows me to wipe everything, I guess the partitions are locked?

I have an 8Gb USB stick that I have used to install 9.10 to (there was an option from its menu) but it has long been cleared. Because im running 7.04 the software isnt supported anymore and I cant install anything thats half in a way new from apt-get.

I cant download the full 9.10 iso either, im writing this from a Live running of 7.04 and have no space to download the file.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Regards, Robert

sanderj
December 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hey guys,

Im trying to salvage some files from a disk that belongs to my sister. I am just home from university and all I have is an old 7.04 install disc here. I only have one hard disk and the installer for 7.04 only allows me to wipe everything, I guess the partitions are locked?

I have an 8Gb USB stick that I have used to install 9.10 to (there was an option from its menu) but it has long been cleared. Because im running 7.04 the software isnt supported anymore and I cant install anything thats half in a way new from apt-get.

I cant download the full 9.10 iso either, im writing this from a Live running of 7.04 and have no space to download the file.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Regards, Robert

Download the 9.10 ISO to the empty 8GB USB stuck, burn a CD from the ISO, and boot the CD (or first create a live Ubuntu on the 8GB USB stick) in a PC with your sister's harddisk.

lisati
December 24th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Use the "Start or install" option to start a "Live" session. Don't install Ubuntu at this stage - not only is 7,04 no longer supported, it will risk wiping the data you want to recover.

edit: it might be more useful to get hold of a newer version as has been already suggested, and use the "Try Ubuntu without installing" option. I just fired up a stray 7.04 CD I happened to have lying around - accessing the hard disk might be a bit difficult.

bert682
December 24th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I now have access to a laptop running Ubuntu Netbook Remix. I downloaded the 9.10 iso and tried to run the USB creator tool (from UNR) It loads up and I select the ISO and the application tells me I need to format my USB.

I click format and nothing happens? Any ideas?

Regards, Robert

bert682
December 24th, 2009, 02:37 PM
UPDATE

Got it solved. Used unetbootin and booted into 9.10 from the USB. Resized with GParted and copied all the files I needed.

Thanks for the responses