PDA

View Full Version : Free Documentry: Good Copy Bad Copy

phrostbyte
December 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM
http://www.goodcopybadcopy.net/

It's a pretty good documentary which follows a group of music artists who struggle against conventional ideas and sometimes even the law in order to reinvent music.

Highly recommended.

hansdown
December 24th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the link phrostbyte.

Woah, it's pretty long.

Good stuff though.

Frak
December 24th, 2009, 03:28 AM
It sucks that record companies keep fair use at bay. That's what's terrible about US law, you can sue for anything, anything. In the end, those with the most money win.

satanFTW
December 24th, 2009, 03:33 AM
...and two years later, The Pirate Bay is still up. Long live The Pirate Bay! Also if you want to do some politickin', join your local Pirate Party.

hansdown
December 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Welcome to the forum satanFTW.

Are you using ubuntu?

satanFTW
December 24th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Well thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I am using Ubuntu. I switched after I realised that KDE4 was going nowhere. And yes, I've lurked this forum for awhile, as is customary, before registering.

Psumi
December 24th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Very nice. I watched like half of it.

hansdown
December 24th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Well thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I am using Ubuntu. I switched after I realised that KDE4 was going nowhere. And yes, I've lurked this forum for awhile, as is customary, before registering.

I respect that.

Lurked a bit myself, before someone caught me, and got her uncle (who owns a shotgun), to show me the way.

(just joking), maybe.:)

phrostbyte
December 24th, 2009, 05:52 AM
If you guys like the documentary, I know you will like the book in my sig. Free Culture by Dr. Lawrence Lessig is worth reading. Dr. Lawrence Lessig was in the documentary if you didn't notice. :)

Free Culture is a book which discusses the harmful effects modern copyright law can have on society. It's truly a brilliant book, easy reading, unusually entertaining, and he provides plenty of real world examples. The book itself is available free of charge under a Creative Commons license, or alternatively you can buy on Amazon, in which proceeds benefit the Creative Commons.

Direct link to the PDF: http://www.free-culture.cc/freeculture.pdf
Amazon link with Creative Commons referrer: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1594200068/lessigorg-20

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons NonCommerical-Attribution license. You are entitled to distribute, remix, or otherwise modify this work, provided you do it for non-commercial purposes only, and you attribute Dr. Lawrence Lessig.

autonomy
December 24th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks for sharing, that was pretty good.

phrostbyte
December 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks for sharing, that was pretty good.

I'm happy people enjoyed it. It renews my faith in humanity. :)

Don't forget to share it with your friends!

Warpnow
December 24th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Free Culture link doesn't work for me. I'd be interested in reading it. I am an economics student and we often discuss copyright and patents as an economic concept.

autonomy
December 24th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Don't forget to share it with your friends!No worries, I already did!

MaxIBoy
December 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I'm very glad I saw that, and I'm definitely going to check out some of the music featured in it... YouTube for the win!

EDIT: Okay, maybe TPB for the win instead. The Grey Album is great, you guys should check it out.