PDA

View Full Version : Any body used PCLOS extensively?

Pogeymanz
December 24th, 2009, 01:44 AM
My father-in-law is a Linux-newbie who only knows Ubuntu+Gnome. He wanted to expand his horizons a little bit by trying PCLOS (his brother-in-law told him about it).

I think it might actually be best for him because I was totally embarrassed by Ubuntu's dist-upgrade to 9.10 and the idea of a conservative rolling-release distro would be cool since he'll never have to have a massive upgrade or reinstall.

But how does PCLOS handle big, scary updates, such as Xorg-server, kernels, Grub2 (already happened?), etc?

Also, when is KDE4 going to make it onto the ISO?

pwnst*r
December 24th, 2009, 01:49 AM
deja vu?

gjoellee
December 24th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I have thought about the same. It is so out of date!

I found this though; http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,63698.0.html

Pogeymanz
December 24th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Well, I know how to install KDE4 (which I will do if/when my father-in-law decides to use it).

But, I keep reading that KDE4 will be replacing KDE3.5 soon. I just wanted to know when.

But, what's more important to me right now is the long-term usability of the distro. It would be nice for him to be able to update without being afraid of something breaking.

pwnst*r
December 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM
hm. i'd like to know any OS that doesn't have a chance of something breaking after an update. i'll switch right now.

jimi_hendrix
December 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
hm. i'd like to know any OS that doesn't have a chance of something breaking after an update. i'll switch right now.

BeOS, it doesnt update.

pwnst*r
December 24th, 2009, 05:12 PM
you should re-read my post.