PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] install on laptop

lincolnlatic
December 24th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Hi

I ma trying to install ubuntu or xubuntu on a laptop, the laptop previously had windows xp on it but currently does not have an os on there. I downloaded the ubuntu and xubuntu live cd to boot the machine

when i try and boot from ubuntu the furthest i have managed to get is to an orange desktop screen but with no cursor and nothing else on the screen - to get here takes about 10 minutes but no matter how long i leave it afterwards i don't get any further.

With xubuntu i get as far as a black screen with a round cursor on it that has a spoke that revolves around it again nothing further happens no matter how long i leave it.

Initially the light shows the cd is active with occasional flashes from the hard drive light eventually everything stops with no sign of life no hard drive light nor cd light nor any other signs of life

I am really at a loss over what to try next
the machine has a 1.5ghz processor and 256kb ram and a 20gig hard drive

any ideas what i can do to get it up and running

presence1960
December 24th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Hi

I ma trying to install ubuntu or xubuntu on a laptop, the laptop previously had windows xp on it but currently does not have an os on there. I downloaded the ubuntu and xubuntu live cd to boot the machine

when i try and boot from ubuntu the furthest i have managed to get is to an orange desktop screen but with no cursor and nothing else on the screen - to get here takes about 10 minutes but no matter how long i leave it afterwards i don't get any further.

With xubuntu i get as far as a black screen with a round cursor on it that has a spoke that revolves around it again nothing further happens no matter how long i leave it.

Initially the light shows the cd is active with occasional flashes from the hard drive light eventually everything stops with no sign of life no hard drive light nor cd light nor any other signs of life

I am really at a loss over what to try next
the machine has a 1.5ghz processor and 256kb ram and a 20gig hard drive

any ideas what i can do to get it up and running

with that little amount of RAM you do not have enough to run the Live CD which requires 384 MB of RAM. You can use the alternate text based installer - get it here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate).
Ubuntu install system requirements: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

lincolnlatic
December 24th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Okay thanks the reason i went for these is the page i got the download from (which was one of the mirrors from your link) said i needed 256 for ubuntu and 194 for xubuntu. I will give the text version a whirl and see what happens