PDA

View Full Version : Hardware help?

dragos240
December 23rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hey everyone,

I have an IMB thinkpad. It's power socket is pushed in, so it can be unplugged easily. I tried to take it apart. It seems that when doing this I may have damaged it's paper thin ribbon cable to the power button. Can I steal one of these from another piece of hardware?

Thanks,
Dragos240

LowSky
December 23rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
nope you need to order one from someone who sells IBM thinkpad parts

cariboo
December 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
The IBM parts department is good to deal with, I've bought parts from them several times and never had a problem, they have parts in stock for older systems.

Gizenshya
December 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
What model is it? can you upload a picture of it?

I have a few extra IBM thinkpads around that I could take on off of, as long as they have the same cable.

If we can't figure out whether or not it would work, I can still send it.

and the power plug pushed in? those things break all the time. I could send you one of those as well.

byt the time you're done with shipping and overpriced OEM hardware with them, it could save you a lot. If not, you're only out the time it takes to get to you.

dragos240
December 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
What model is it? can you upload a picture of it?

I have a few extra IBM thinkpads around that I could take on off of, as long as they have the same cable.

If we can't figure out whether or not it would work, I can still send it.

and the power plug pushed in? those things break all the time. I could send you one of those as well.

byt the time you're done with shipping and overpriced OEM hardware with them, it could save you a lot. If not, you're only out the time it takes to get to you.

The thinkpad is an i1400, it does not have built in wireless, also no touchpad :p. An astounding 124mb of ram.

Here is a picture of the laptop, this is not mine, but it's the same model.
http://ikora.tv/usr/oss/Pc030.JPG

A good disassembly guide would be nice too :).

cascade9
December 23rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
This should help a lot if your pulling it apart/building it back up/doing maintenance-

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/09n8606.pdf

From here-
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4HDPPV.html

BTW, what your looking for is from page 50 onward.

Gizenshya
December 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Judging by the cord magnet it seems that where it plugs in is on the right side of the computer (from the viewpoint of whoever took the pic). On the ones I have, it is on the left. So that part might not work.

But the buttons on the board where the power button is looks the same. Only the colors are different (visually, at least). I know IBM used many of the same parts for reliability and cost reasons (which is great, IMO, though a lost philosophy as of late), so I bet they are the same on the inside as well-- ribbon included.

what is the part number for the ribbon or parts needed? I can check to see if they're the same if I know that.