PDA

View Full Version : songbird 1.4.2 out FINALY

nerdy_kid
December 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
the next release of the awesomest player ever is out!

Groucho Marxist
December 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM

I'm glad I updated last night because I can now view my album art in media flow.

donniezazen
December 23rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
I like Songbird but its too heavy to handle even for Linux. And copying iTunes on Linux isn't going to work. Also why would i need a browser in music player why not just use the web browser.

SK

infestor
December 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
I like Songbird but its too heavy to handle even for Linux. And copying iTunes on Linux isn't going to work. Also why would i need a browser in music player why not just use the web browser.

SK

banshee & amarok is way heavier than songbird (at least on my machine)
yes, the browser idea sucks.

donniezazen
December 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
For simple music playing Rhythmbox is great.

nerdy_kid
December 23rd, 2009, 11:43 PM

SK

I will agree, that while the web browser is cool, it could be removed, as it is totaly pointless and slow.
I would argue that Songbird is more like Winamp then iTunes. I used to be a huge winamp fan -- still would be if they had one for linux
Its for the people who dont want full blown media centres, and yet find Amarok and Rhythmbox too boring. I personaly would use amarok way more if it had EQ (Phonon i know) and if the stupid ctrl clicking multiple tracks would work right

edd07
December 24th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a repo with the newest version of Songbird? The site only provides a .tar.

Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. If anyone's interested: Here it is (https://launchpad.net/~songbird-daily/+archive/ppa). Be aware it's a daily build repo and will contain new bugs and regressions.

donniezazen
December 24th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a repo with the newest version of Songbird? The site only provides a .tar.

Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. If anyone's interested: Here it is (https://launchpad.net/~songbird-daily/+archive/ppa). Be aware it's a daily build repo and will contain new bugs and regressions.

Thanks for the repo. But i couldn't find the package songbird in it.:confused:

donniezazen
December 24th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I will agree, that while the web browser is cool, it could be removed, as it is totaly pointless and slow.
I would argue that Songbird is more like Winamp then iTunes. I used to be a huge winamp fan -- still would be if they had one for linux
Its for the people who dont want full blown media centres, and yet find Amarok and Rhythmbox too boring. I personaly would use amarok way more if it had EQ (Phonon i know) and if the stupid ctrl clicking multiple tracks would work right

Is there any option to get rid of browser?

Dark Aspect
December 24th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I never had a problem with Rhythmbox, in fact I love it.

jrusso2
December 24th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Song bird is based on Firebird so it is already a browser so why not use it?

edd07
December 24th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the repo. But i couldn't find the package songbird in it.:confused:
Try running
sudo apt-get update before trying again.

Is there any option to get rid of browser?
Even the GUI is rendered by the Gecko engine (it's written in XUL), so if there were a way to get rid of the browser, you'd be left with no GUI :P

nerdy_kid
December 24th, 2009, 01:25 AM
i downloaded the tar and stuck the files in /usr/share/Songbird and made a script in /usr/bin/ pointing to /usr/share/Songbird/songbird and then manualy added a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications.... i think getdeb.net is in the process of uploading a deb to make it a little faster LOL

kamikazi
December 24th, 2009, 01:26 AM
the daily build will upgrade songbird straight up to version 1.5.0a and you will not be able to use extensions anymore!

edd07
December 24th, 2009, 01:34 AM
the daily build will upgrade songbird straight up to version 1.5.0a and you will not be able to use extensions anymore!
Oh, so THAT explains it. I was trying to install an extension and it wouldn't let me. Thanks for the tip

Still, I prefer having a repo for it. I have Google Earth and Mozilla Thunderbird 3 manually installed and it can get a little messy.

scouser73
December 24th, 2009, 03:00 AM

It's poo, version 1.4.1 was released Monday, then tuesday came 1.4.2. Songbird used to be good, no...it used to be great but since yesterday I've switched to Exaile and it's brilliant and more smoother to use.

ssj6akshat
December 24th, 2009, 04:42 AM
GetDeb Repo Provides the Stable Version.

murderslastcrow
December 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Can Songbird rip CDs yet?

Uncle Spellbinder
December 24th, 2009, 06:35 AM
...I've switched to Exaile and it's brilliant and more smoother to use.

Ditto. Been using Exaile for a long time. Far superior to Songbird, in my opinion.

By the way, has songbird added the ability to watch more than one folder? Last I checked, you could only add one folder. Any app of this sort should have the ability to add more than one folder. Why more don't puzzles me.

kahumba
December 24th, 2009, 06:57 AM
It doesn't have system tray support for Linux haha

donniezazen
December 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM
It doesn't have system tray support for Linux haha

True its funny. No system tray no notification. And also it does not wobble when i move it side by side.

nerdy_kid
December 24th, 2009, 02:30 PM
true no system tray (sucky :( ), but notifications can be added. I doesn't wiggle btw, cause the window manager isnt moving it (i guess its moving itself?) unless u use the alt-click method.

Shpongle
December 24th, 2009, 02:35 PM
For simple music playing Rhythmbox is great.

++

aklo
December 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I like the orange songbird logo better !!
also there is still no "Save playlist" function...

RATM_Owns
December 24th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Songbird 1.4.3 is out.

Waiting for songbird-stable-bin in the AUR to be updated...

HappinessNow
December 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Great another bloated useless application much like the endless useless kitchen appliances that clutter ones life until they end being sold at a yard sale for a nickel then inevitably end up being thrown away.

MooPi
December 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
What ever happened to xmms2 popularity ? Bug free, simple interface and a small footprint. Hmm.

RATM_Owns
December 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Oh, and for system tray, use this: http://firetray.googlecode.com/files/firetray_0.2.5_dev.xpi

Open it up in a archive manager, edit install.rdf, scroll down to this:

<em:targetApplication>
<!-- Songbird -->
<Description>
<em:id>songbird@songbirdnest.com</em:id>
<em:minVersion>0.8</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>1.2.0</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
</em:targetApplication>And change the line that says
<em:maxVersion>1.2.0</em:maxVersion> to this:
<em:maxVersion>*</em:maxVersion>Then save the file, and drag it onto the main Songbird window or click Tools->Add-ons then click the "Install" button and select the modified XPI. Works perfectly here (tint2 under Openbox).

donniezazen
December 25th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Oh, and for system tray, use this: http://firetray.googlecode.com/files/firetray_0.2.5_dev.xpi

Open it up in a archive manager, edit install.rdf, scroll down to this:

<em:targetApplication>
<!-- Songbird -->
<Description>
<em:id>songbird@songbirdnest.com</em:id>
<em:minVersion>0.8</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>1.2.0</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
</em:targetApplication>And change the line that says
<em:maxVersion>1.2.0</em:maxVersion> to this:
<em:maxVersion>*</em:maxVersion>Then save the file, and drag it onto the main Songbird window or click Tools->Add-ons then click the "Install" button and select the modified XPI. Works perfectly here (tint2 under Openbox).

Thanks.

Close to system tray is not working.

SK

speedwell68
December 25th, 2009, 01:26 AM
It's poo, version 1.4.1 was released Monday, then tuesday came 1.4.2. Songbird used to be good, no...it used to be great but since yesterday I've switched to Exaile and it's brilliant and more smoother to use.

I was a big fan of Songbird, but I have found the new version to be slow and a general PITA. I only used it to manage my iPod, which frankly, I have discovered Banshee to be much better at.

scouser73
December 25th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I can't believe that there have been two updates since vers. 1.4.1 came out, what a load of cack!

pt123
December 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM
running songbird 1.42, but now it is impossible to drag and drop covers from a web page

bark50
December 26th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I like Songbird, but 1.2 would crash frequently while playing my library. If 1.4 doesn't do that -- and if there aren't any new, annoying bugs -- I'm gonna be one happy camper.

Edit: I installed 1.4. It crashed about 20 minutes into playing my library. I'm bummed. It's back to Rhythmbox and Quod Libet.