PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a simple graphics editing app by default?

user1397
December 23rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Shouldn't there be a simple graphics editing app similar to MS Paint included by default on Ubuntu?

Since there are talks of removing the GIMP from the CD install, maybe this extra space can party be used for such a program, such as GNU Paint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_paint) (thanks for pointing that out Hwaet)

sisco311
December 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
f-spot is installed by default in Lucid Lynx.

user1397
December 23rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
f-spot is installed by default in Lucid Lynx.Could you really compare F-Spot's functionality with a simple program like Paint?

Hwæt
December 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
I know kde has kolourpaint, but I'm not sure if gnome has a similar app...but it should.

GNU Paint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_paint)

user1397
December 23rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
GNU Paint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_paint)
Ah, well there we go. This should be included by default, not GIMP and F-spot is not a replacement for this...it is complementary.

Bölvaður
December 23rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
NO!!!

Almost no one will ever need that type of program. And if you need to doodle something there is inkscape that does the job much better than what you are thinking of.
I can only think of one crowd that really needs this type of program. My mother has no use for it, my father has no use for it, my sister has no use for it.

Those programs arent good enough for making icons or anything.

saulgoode
December 23rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
There should be GIMP.

Ric_NYC
December 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
There should be GIMP.

Amen.

user1397
December 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
NO!!!

Almost no one will ever need that type of program. And if you need to doodle something there is inkscape that does the job much better than what you are thinking of.
I can only think of one crowd that really needs this type of program. My mother has no use for it, my father has no use for it, my sister has no use for it.

Those programs arent good enough for making icons or anything.
I am talking about the average user here, not someone who normally makes icons for whatever reason (I'm sorry but that is not an average thing to do...)

I see people using paint on windows for very trivial things, yes, but they still actually use it. People that just want to add a caption for a photo and put it up on their facebook or that want to create a simple concept drawing to explain something to someone (you get the idea).

These people wouldn't know where to begin with GIMP or even Inkscape.

*g!t5^_)*(H
December 23rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Yes it should. It's crazy how many people use paint for everything. I always install kolour paint after installing ubuntu, just to know it is there if I need it.

user1397
December 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Yes it should. It's crazy how many people use paint for everything. I always install kolour paint after installing ubuntu, just to know it is there if I need it.
Ditto!

doorknob60
December 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
YES! I love Paint :D I use Kolourpaint all the time, probably a little more than GIMP.