PDA

View Full Version : GRUB1 vs GRUB2

user1397
December 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Although grub2 might have some new features and technical superiorities, I still prefer grub1 for its simplicity to setup and its larger userbase.

In any case, grub2 should probably not been chosen default for 9.10 IMO.

What do you think?

gletob
December 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Although grub2 might have some new features and technical superiorities, I still prefer grub1 for its simplicity to setup and its larger userbase.

What do you think?

Ditto

SuperSonic4
December 23rd, 2009, 06:15 PM

What do you think?

Ditto, plus it's easier to edit by all accounts

cariboo
December 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Grub2 already works better then grub-legacy, once the new version of startupmanager is done, things will even be easier. As it is Grub2 is much more customizable then the previous version. Remember that grub-legacy is no longer being updated, so there won't be any new features.

Hwæt
December 23rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
You guys are acting just like those leed (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/leed#Middle_English) who post on this forum every now again and say, "OMG Linux is too different, I'm going back to Windows!"

Just because it's different doesn't mean you can't take the time to learn it. It's the future, and if you want to fork that spaghetti-coded GRUB 1, go ahead, and godspeed.

BrokenKingpin
December 23rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
GRUB1. GRUB2 takes forever to initialize on my latop, where GRUB1 worked perfect.

Icehuck
December 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Grub2 already works better then grub-legacy, once the new version of startupmanager is done, things will even be easier. As it is Grub2 is much more customizable then the previous version. Remember that grub-legacy is no longer being updated, so there won't be any new features.

What new features do you need on a boot loader? All you need to do is boot your OS.

wojox
December 23rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Grub2 ftw!!!!!!

nrs
December 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah, well maybe I'll change my mind when I need more customization or features. I'm sure some do, but I don't. Only reason I'm not really up in arms about it is because I know Ubuntu needs to use the shotgun approach when targeting users.

You guys are acting just like those leed (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/leed#Middle_English) who post on this forum every now again and say, "OMG Linux is too different, I'm going back to Windows!"

Just because it's different doesn't mean you can't take the time to learn it. It's the future, and if you want to fork that spaghetti-coded GRUB 1, go ahead, and godspeed.
Ohhh. I don't like it because I'm ignorant and just haven't learned to appreciate how marvellous it is. Nice. :rolleyes:

cariboo
December 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
What new features do you need on a boot loader? All you need to do is boot your OS.

btrfs support for one.

user1397
December 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I understand that it will no longer be updated and that grub2 will be easier in the future, but that's the thing...keyword 'future.'

Most distros still use grub1...I just think ubuntu jumped the gun a bit too early.

ratcheer
December 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
I use grub2 because I prefer to be on the leading edge, which is the main reason I am using Linux, anyway.

Tim

clanky
December 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
I am sure that when all of the bugs are ironed out then GRUB2 will load an OS just as well as GRUB does, and with shiny bells and whistles as well, but until that time I am amazed that it was included as standard in 9.10.

For one thing it doesn't seem to be able to cope with the idea of installing 2 different OS's on 2 different HDD's, which GRUB did perfectly well.

Techsnap
December 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
LILO. Whenever I use GRUB it always at some point decides it's going to screw something up, usually before it reaches the menu screen so I can't select another OS.

LILO on the other hand has always worked great. GRUB2 was a joke, it 25 seconds to load the menu.