PDA

View Full Version : Is problematic cyber security now spilling out into the mainstream?

jayze
December 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM
I was wondering how many people have experienced or noticed or heard of similar issues?.............I recently put a very "tongue in cheek", light hearted & somewhat inaccurate profile on a well known contact site. Circa 10 days later I receive ( to an address normally reserved for junk) in the post (snailmail) a letter from a financial company (HQ sanfrancisco)..claiming they have authority to administrate for another company and asking for certain financial details(by return of post) because a well known third party organisation did not have the full details. I rang the no provided on the letter. Got straight through to a private answerphone ("if you need further information press zero")..and then promptly cut off!....I noticed that some of the information quoted in the letter corresponded with information put on the contact site. ....sorry to be long winded folks....crux of it is Q: Is cybercrime now making use of non cyber services or spilling out into it?..Q: Am I supposed to reply to this letter (lol) Q:Has anybody come across this before or is it a new phenomenon.:popcorn:

Elaztic
December 23rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
Yes, but this is not a new trend.
If you are the owner of a domain you are likely to receive 'renewal letters' from companies claiming to be your hostmaster or the like.
My wife has Dutch inheritance and she has received several letters with info only posted on the web from supposedly former Dutch colonies claiming she has a large financial inheritance.
The same goes for lottery and bingo prices.

Rule no 1: Never-ever reply.

jayze
December 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the confirmation:)