PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stuck on blank screen with mouse cursor

Skyler0
December 23rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
So I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 and I'm having an odd problem. I tried searching but couldn't finda anything.

When I try to install or load the live CD for the disk, it starts to load a bit but then goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor on it. The mouse cursor functions and I can move it around.

I've tried different hard drives, testing the disk, and unplugging all the USB ports and what not.

I'm really hoping someone knows how to help :/

Thanks,
Sky

BZiadie
December 23rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
I just wanted to say that I'm having the same problem. Trying to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix on an ASUS EEE PC 1000HE from a USB.

byStanderone
December 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
...try this thread, i think it is related your problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308941

Skyler0
December 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Alright

Update:

I booted the install with that line from the other thread, and in graphics safe mode. Worked fine all that jazz.

I install Ubuntu, and NOW when I boot it normally it still boots fine. Not sure why though :S.

I noticed some of the command line stuff that came up right before the black screen with mouse and it said over and over a few times:

"ata2.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6"

Not sure what it means, but seems to be working now I guess.

-Sky

EDIT: After a few more testing it looks like it the Safe Graphics option that is letting it boot, not the i915.modeset=0. Any idea why?

Hardware:
P4 3.0 w/ HT
AGP ATI HD3650
1.5GB DDR Ram
(yes I'm aware its a little old haha)

byStanderone
December 27th, 2009, 01:13 PM
...have a look at this: http://omgili.com/hd3650-mobility-radeon

specially that one marked as 'solved'

Skyler0
December 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks, but it works now without having to do anything weird, and if I'm booting Live CD I just use the graphics recovery.

Also, its not the mobile version, but the desktop version.