PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual boot dell xps m1530 with media direct button for ubuntu

xpsm1530
December 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
Hi! all,
I have dell xps m1530 and I am trying it to dual boot with windows 7 and ubuntu 9.10.

As you all know that dell xps m1530 comes with media direct button and I have read and tried a lots of forum on dual booting xps with one of the operating system with media direct button but none of those worked.

I am new to ubuntu and really want to use it more than windows but after several failed installation, I am creating this forum.

All the forum I read was based on GRUB bootloader(don't know what it is) but Ubuntu 9.10 has GRUB2(as i read it too) and if I am not wrong it is also causing the problem during the dual boot installation process.

So, I would really appreciate if anyone of you genius would help me provide the STEP-WISE guide to install windows7 and ubuntu9.10 with Ubuntu able to boot from media direct button and windows from regular power button.

Sorry, for the long message.

-my poor dell xpsm1530

supaluke
December 28th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi, did you have any luck? I am coping with exactly the same problem (using an old ubuntu 8.04 though). Let me know if you got any further after your post.

beunson
January 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Any update on this, I would like to try using the media direct button to boot into xmbc media front end and ubuntu on normal power button.

PeregrinGo
April 7th, 2011, 09:50 AM
*bump*