PDA

View Full Version : Best backup software - Once again!!

donniezazen
December 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
What is your favorite backup software if you want to sync/transfer all your data from your home folder to external drive?

I have have tried Grsync, Unison, and Simplebackup.

Grsync- superfast but i don't know how to exclude and include the folders.

Unison - i like it but its extremely slow.

sbackup - didn't like it.

One of the problem with backup is if you change the name of files the software has to transfer it (redundancy).

What's your opinion and suggestions?

Marvin666
December 23rd, 2009, 01:35 AM
My backups are just make an iso of the drive, and store it on an external hard drive.
I probably need to get a 1TB external drive soon...

FuturePilot
December 23rd, 2009, 01:37 AM
You can exclude files using grsync by adding something like "--exclude-from=".grsync/exclude"" in the Additional options field under the Advanced Options tab. Then just make a file in ~/.grsync called "exclude" and put path and or file names to exclude in the file, 1 per line.

To answer the question, I used to like Sbackup, but I found it to be slightly buggy and not a very active project. I recently came across a really nice backup program called Déjà Dup (https://launchpad.net/deja-dup). I only have 2 minor complaints about it. 1) since it doesn't run as root it can't handle situations where you don't have permissions to access a file, though I hear this may be planned for a future release. And 2) it doesn't seem to compress the on-disk data. For a single user system it works really good. If you're looking for something for a multi-user system it probably won't work as well.

Warpnow
December 23rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
Just rsync.

scouser73
December 23rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
Pybackpack

handy
December 23rd, 2009, 02:22 AM
I built a FreeNAS system on couple of drives, FreeNAS boots from a 2GB drive & all files are stored on a 1TB drive. They are in drive drawers that I install in my tower when I want to back up, after which I shut down No.2. box & remove the drives to protect them from any kind of power spikes.

The other software that I've recently used to clone a 320GB (to a 1.5TB drive that went back into the iMac as an upgrade) that had fat32, HPS+, Ext3 & JFS filesystems on it was Clonezilla, it did a perfect job.

Clonezilla has many options, is really easy to use from its LiveCD & is what I would use if I was cloning images of partitions for backup. Which I will do one day, when I get around to buying a 2TB external drive.

I will clone the 6 or so systems we have here onto it, & then continue to use FreeNAS for backing up the data. Then I'll have a really quick reinstall solution if one of the systems becomes unrepairable or the drive fails.

CharlesA
December 23rd, 2009, 02:31 AM
Just rsync.

This is what I use. No GUI to use grsync. Unless it's web-based. (My other admin tools are web-based)

TheNessus
December 23rd, 2009, 05:11 AM
I just use copy paste. Why go through all the hassle of a program to simply copy files?

handy
December 23rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
I just use copy paste. Why go through all the hassle of a program to simply copy files?

That's what I do with FreeNAS, I just use Worker, the two pane dirutil, so I can see my source & destination directories (in this case workstation & FreeNAS) & any details that may interest me regarding date/time, permissions & such. Select the files/directories that I want to move or whatever...

I personally prefer the visual method it makes it a lot less likely that I'll make a mistake, or miss something.

If I was dealing with a lot of data, I would probably be using rsync or something of that ilk; as it is I don't have to spend much time keeping up to date backups in our home.

donniezazen
December 23rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
You can exclude files using grsync by adding something like "--exclude-from=".grsync/exclude"" in the Additional options field under the Advanced Options tab. Then just make a file in ~/.grsync called "exclude" and put path and or file names to exclude in the file, 1 per line.

To answer the question, I used to like Sbackup, but I found it to be slightly buggy and not a very active project. I recently came across a really nice backup program called Déjà Dup (https://launchpad.net/deja-dup). I only have 2 minor complaints about it. 1) since it doesn't run as root it can't handle situations where you don't have permissions to access a file, though I hear this may be planned for a future release. And 2) it doesn't seem to compress the on-disk data. For a single user system it works really good. If you're looking for something for a multi-user system it probably won't work as well.

Thanks the above command worked for me. How about if i want to add an include from command?

Thanks,
SK.

kzlazy
December 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
I do not know if that will meet your need, but I would also propose "meld" (it is in the repos).

Meld is a tool which allows the user to see the changes in, and merge between, either two files, two directories, or two files with a common ancestor.

It is a classic two panel tool and allows you to exclude, include or ignore files to be transfered (maybe wrong but I am not sure that unison does), before it all starts.

beercz
December 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
http://rsnapshot.org (http://rsnapshot.org/)

Run as a cron job on a server, pulling the backup data from my client laptop 4 times a day.

I've been doing this for 3 years, simple, automated, reliable and stress free!!

CharlesA
December 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
http://rsnapshot.org (http://rsnapshot.org/)

Run as a cron job on a server, pulling the backup data from my client laptop 4 times a day.

I've been doing this for 3 years, simple, automated, reliable and stress free!!

Thanks for the link, sounds like a useful program.

I stick with rsync, since I just backup my data to an external drive. I don't exactly have multiple backups tho (Mon-Fri).

PartisanEntity
December 23rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
rsync is my favorite, never had problems with it and in verbose mode I can easily see if there were any problems copying any files or folders.