PDA

View Full Version : The Creators Of VLC Will Soon Release A Video Editor

Resu
December 23rd, 2009, 01:04 AM
For those who haven't heard, the creators of VLC Media Player are going to release a video editor by the name of VideoLAN Movie Creator.

Homepage: http://vlmc.org/projects/show/vlmc

JDShu
December 23rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
Thanks for sharing. VLC is an amazing piece of software and it will be interesting to see if the editor will be as elegant.

Qola
December 23rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
Kden may have some competition.

blur xc
December 23rd, 2009, 01:11 AM
Dude that's awesome news... I love VLC player... I have some mac guys in the office here and they don't understand why I won't install Quciktime on my windows pc... They just don't get it.

BM

forrestcupp
December 23rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
Interesting. I hope it has some good features. It will be good to have a viable, free video editor that is actually cross platform.

73ckn797
December 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
For those who haven't heard, the creators of VLC Media Player are going to release a video editor by the name of VideoLAN Movie Creator.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have been struggling to find a video editor that will work decently and simply. I really do not like booting into Windows for Pinnacle or Windows Movie Maker.

I have been trying so many Linux editors that I lost count.

Resu
December 23rd, 2009, 02:42 AM
Same here. There many Linux video editors out there, but most are very buggy and unstable. Hopefully VLMC does well so we can have at least one decent video player out there.

Exodist
December 23rd, 2009, 02:51 AM

That very good news.

joey-elijah
December 23rd, 2009, 03:17 AM
It's great news indeed! VLC's cross platform (and niche platform) support is pretty much second to none so this is exciting.

I've been trying to compile VLMC but keep getting hit with 'uint32_t has not beeb declared' errors. Anyone care to point out something really obvious as to why?

pwnst*r
December 23rd, 2009, 03:20 AM
vlc is my fave vid player on both windows and linux. this should be very good.

Resu
December 23rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
I'm stuck with the same problem. *Scratches head

bit mad
December 23rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Looks like it could be brilliant - released in Feb 2010 -
http://www.digitalversus.com/news_id-12124.html

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/news/12/12104/vlmc-screenshot.jpg

(http://www.digitalversus.com/news_id-12124.html)

Shpongle
December 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for sharing. VLC is an amazing piece of software and it will be interesting to see if the editor will be as elegant.

im sure it will these guys know how to make great software

juancarlospaco
December 23rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
VLC is nice, theres a WxWidgets version too, i see that.

I allways hoping they develop a Video Editor.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 23rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Dude that's awesome news... I love VLC player... I have some mac guys in the office here and they don't understand why I won't install Quciktime on my windows pc... They just don't get it.
The main reason people use VLC is because it comes bundled with just about every codec imaginable.

saulgoode
December 23rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
I've been trying to compile VLMC but keep getting hit with 'uint32_t has not beeb declared' errors. Anyone care to point out something really obvious as to why?
Do you have the VLC header files installed?

ssj6akshat
December 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Do you have the VLC header files installed?
Care to tell How?

saulgoode
December 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Care to tell How?
Well, I cloned the VLC GIT repository and compiled from source. I imagine that there is some sort of Debianesque -dev or -devel package available but since I am using Slackware, I've never investigated.

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
The main reason people use VLC is because it comes bundled with just about every codec imaginable.
And it's stable, nonbloated, and not filled with BUY PRO NOW ads.

User3k
December 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
This is great news. If they put the same effort into this as they have with VLC then I am really looking forward to this.

VLC, like others here, is also my favorite. Even when I was using Windows I had to have VLC installed.

SuperSonic4
December 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Well, I cloned the VLC GIT repository and compiled from source. I imagine that there is some sort of Debianesque -dev or -devel package available but since I am using Slackware, I've never investigated.

The AUR has it too, but I need to sort out my x264 stuff first

bit mad
December 24th, 2009, 12:38 AM
There's a video of it in action at their YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/vlmcteam

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02vdwNsvbZI&hd=1

ve4cib
December 24th, 2009, 12:54 AM
That is quite the impressive-looking piece of software. And given the quality one expects from the VLC team it should be good. I'll definitely be trying it out once they have an official release.

peter d
December 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Sounds good.

VLC is my favourite video player. If the editor is as good it'll be great.

ssj6akshat
December 24th, 2009, 05:07 AM
if anyone has succes compiling please post the Deb Package here.

MaxIBoy
December 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM
At least it won't have too many issues with dud exports like I've had with KDEnlive. And I expect good things from the UI.

EDIT (saw the video:) ...And the UI doesn't look as good as I'd like (the "new project" wizard is a bad sign,) but it still looks usable enough.

3rdalbum
December 24th, 2009, 09:09 AM
It's only just been publically released, most people can't even compile it, yet it's better than Pitivi. Impressive. It just goes to show that you don't need to take three years to "get the fundamentals right".

My only concern is with rendering the output (where most video editors fall down). I've never successfully transcoded any videos with VLC; anyone want to bet that I can't render my output in VLMC?

vavoem
December 24th, 2009, 02:41 PM
My god i am so excited finally a decent developper picks up the niche
:guitar::lolflag::KS:P:mrgreen:

Zzl1xndd
December 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM

BM

Odd Every Mac person I know uses VLC, because Quicktime is aweful.

Frak
December 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM
This.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 24th, 2009, 08:06 PM
We use all 3 OS's in my house and VLC as the default media player on all of them.

Twitch6000
December 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Now this is great news. VLC is probably the best video player around.

benjaminad
December 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM
My prayers have been answered!!!

Primefalcon
December 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I'll definitely be checking it out, I love VLC even on windows machines, apart from the design you can hear the difference in the sound quality and the video quality

doorknob60
December 26th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, something that actually might be good :D (Actually, Kdenlive is good too, and Pitivi is incomplete but still good). Really looking forward to this :) GIT package already in AUR, time to try it.

bit mad
December 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Another early look :
http://linuxcrunch.com/content/early-look-vlmc

newbie2
December 28th, 2009, 04:22 PM
VLMC: Free Video Editing Software from VLC Coming Soon [Leaked Pics] :
http://techie-buzz.com/video-tools/vlmc-free-video-editing-software-from-vlc-coming-soon-leaked-pics.html
:popcorn:

LeifAndersen
December 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm very exited for it. The real question, do any of you think this will be the supposed video editor that will be included in ubuntu?

ve4cib
December 28th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I'm very exited for it. The real question, do any of you think this will be the supposed video editor that will be included in ubuntu?

I think I read somewhere that they were going to be including pitivi in the standard release. But hopefully VLMC will be much, much better, and will eventually make it onto the CD (possibly with VLC replacing Totem as the default video player).

GMU_DodgyHodgy
December 28th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I will wait and see how this turns out - but it is very promising.

At least we can look to the flurry of new video editor activity (PiTiVi, OpenShot, VLC) as a good sign to giving the Linux Desktop a true iLife suite of software.

As has been discussed in previous posts - quality software applications is what will move the Linux Desktop forward - the Linux Desktop OS is there - we need apps to make people want to use it.

MetalMusicAddict
December 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM

With them dropping GIMP, I'd sure hope they don't add a video editor. As the rational for dropping GIMP would apply here.

That said, Ubuntu Studio will be watching how this new project goes.

Studio is also looking at how to better expose the video editing features in Blender. Which hands-down is the best (and closest thing to pro) editor out there now.

Keyper7
December 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
With them dropping GIMP, I'd sure hope they don't add a video editor. As the rational for dropping GIMP would apply here.

No, it would not. GIMP is being dropped because it is an advanced image editor.

There's nothing wrong with including a simple video editor.

LeifAndersen
December 28th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Keyper: Ya, that's what I thought. But assuming that VLC is making it a 'simple' video editor, I think that they're biggest problem, is going to be making it work, even without the patented codecs, because unless it does, there is no chance of it being included. http://leifandersen.net/2009/12/24/vlmc-the-video-editor-for-ubuntu/

MetalMusicAddict
December 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM
No, it would not. GIMP is being dropped because it is an advanced image editor.

There's nothing wrong with including a simple video editor.

As a developer of Ubuntu Studio, user and tester of many video apps (including VLMC) and someone who knows the people who make the "what gets included in Ubuntu" decisions, the likelihood of this being included are rather slim.

In my experience, a "simple video editor" is a bit of a oxymoron. VLMC is in its current state, more advanced than the folks that Ubuntu thought of when pulling GIMP.

LeifAndersen
December 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Right, well, it looks like VLMC won't be included by default.

I think they would consider a 'simple' video editor, as one that can import clips, plop them down in a timeline, add a music track, and export. So ya, you're probably right, it's not 'simple' it's 'useful' instead. :)

MasterNetra
December 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Yes well lets not celebrate until the product is out of development and turns out to actually be good. Just because the people who made the best player don't mean they will make the best editor.

LeifAndersen
December 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Bleh, it looks like the voice of reason is raining on our parade. :)

MasterNetra
December 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Bleh, it looks like the voice of reason is raining on our parade. :)

Thats what I'm paid for. :p

Keyper7
December 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Keyper: Ya, that's what I thought. But assuming that VLC is making it a 'simple' video editor, I think that they're biggest problem, is going to be making it work, even without the patented codecs, because unless it does, there is no chance of it being included. http://leifandersen.net/2009/12/24/vlmc-the-video-editor-for-ubuntu/

Which is why I didn't specifically mention VLMC, I just said "a simple video editor".

The Lucid blueprint for default apps (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-lucid-default-apps) seems biased towards PiTiVi, which is GStreamer-based and therefore can easily avoid the patent problems.

As a developer of Ubuntu Studio, user and tester of many video apps (including VLMC) and someone who knows the people who make the "what gets included in Ubuntu" decisions, the likelihood of this being included are rather slim.

Oh, I think so too.

I was just stating that, if it happens, it would not be necessarily a contradiction with the rationale for removing GIMP.

In my experience, a "simple video editor" is a bit of a oxymoron. VLMC is in its current state, more advanced than the folks that Ubuntu thought of when pulling GIMP.

Well, PiTiVi has a very simple drag 'n' drop interface and no advanced features whatsoever. I think it is simpler than Windows Movie Maker, which is generally considered adequate for the average joe. (I didn't personally verify the last sentence, though, I'm just repeating what I heard)

And in my personal opinion, OpenShot, despite having a lot of advanced features, is remarkably simple to use.

LeifAndersen
January 4th, 2010, 12:39 AM

That said, Ubuntu Studio will be watching how this new project goes.

Studio is also looking at how to better expose the video editing features in Blender. Which hands-down is the best (and closest thing to pro) editor out there now.

So, I finally got around to building the pre-alpha version (I reviewed it at: http://leifandersen.net/2010/01/03/vlmc-a-preliminary-look/ ), and I now really agree with you. I think something like PiTiVi is more likely to be included in ubuntu, where as this will be a slightly more pro tool.

Either way, as MasterNetra said, we really have to wait until it's released and turns out to be good. Unfortunately, as of this moment, it's rather buggy.

andrew.46
January 5th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Hi saulgoode,

Indeed Slackware makes it all pretty easy, I attach a screenshot of the git vlmc running on Slackware 13. No autotools yet and single requirement seems to be the git vlc 1.1.0, admittedly not an inconsequential bit of software to compile but it can be done...

Andrew

Exodist
January 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hi saulgoode,

Indeed Slackware makes it all pretty easy, I attach a screenshot of the git vlmc running on Slackware 13. No autotools yet and single requirement seems to be the git vlc 1.1.0, admittedly not an inconsequential bit of software to compile but it can be done...

Andrew
So far the layout looks promising and easy to understand. Cant wait to try it.

L4U
January 5th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I really want to say great, not another crappy Linux video editor. But I won't (whoops!).

But seriously, if VLC's new one is just as [beeeeeep] as the rest, then half of the video editing project teams need to merge with the other half to make an actual good video editor, then maybe I can finally ditch my Windows dual boot!

andrew.46
February 20th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Hi Exodist,

So far the layout looks promising and easy to understand. Cant wait to try it.

If you are running the 32bit version of Karmic Koala you can try it now:

Howto: Build the development version of vlc under Ubuntu
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8772137

All the best,

Andrew