PDA

View Full Version : A complete newbie here

gw90se
February 2nd, 2005, 02:38 AM
This is a thanks in advance to all of you. I am a total newbie with Linux. About 2 years ago, I loaded RedHat on an old desktop unit. Browsed online and then started trying to load and configure the system. Lasted a few days and dropped it. A few months ago, I took this old desktop and loaded Mandrake. It lasted almost 2 weeks. Spent some time research the various distros and reading forums.

Decidsed on Ubuntu. Partly because of what I read about it and partly because of the support level that I saw from this group. =D>

I'll try not to drive you crazy with useless questions and promise to only come here when I can't locate my answer elsewhere or figure something out. :D

Initially, the install went great. I did manage to get XMMS going so I could listen to a little music while I work (right now, it's some Van Morrison, if you are curious) tried following the instructions for MPlayer, but have run into some problems with that. Still working on it though.

Anyway. Just a big hello to all and once again, TIA.

Ron

Quest-Master
February 2nd, 2005, 02:53 AM
This is a thanks in advance to all of you. I am a total newbie with Linux. About 2 years ago, I loaded RedHat on an old desktop unit. Browsed online and then started trying to load and configure the system. Lasted a few days and dropped it. A few months ago, I took this old desktop and loaded Mandrake. It lasted almost 2 weeks. Spent some time research the various distros and reading forums.

Decidsed on Ubuntu. Partly because of what I read about it and partly because of the support level that I saw from this group. =D>

I'll try not to drive you crazy with useless questions and promise to only come here when I can't locate my answer elsewhere or figure something out. :D

Initially, the install went great. I did manage to get XMMS going so I could listen to a little music while I work (right now, it's some Van Morrison, if you are curious) tried following the instructions for MPlayer, but have run into some problems with that. Still working on it though.

Anyway. Just a big hello to all and once again, TIA.

Ron
:o!!!

Another Georgian Linuxer! I should visit you sometime down in Waleska.. quite a far drive from up here north in the suburbs of Atlanta. XD

gw90se
February 2nd, 2005, 03:06 AM
I would say that you couldn't get here, but the security at the gate was obviously designed by Bill 8-[

TravisNewman
February 2nd, 2005, 03:42 AM
Welcome aboard buddy! Your linux experience sound a lot like mine started out as. Just kinda dabbling but getting overhwelmed... trust me, just stick with it and you'll love it.

:o!!!

Another Georgian Linuxer! I should visit you sometime down in Waleska.. quite a far drive from up here north in the suburbs of Atlanta. XD

What part? How close are you to Kennesaw (sp?)
I have some family there

crane
February 2nd, 2005, 03:51 AM
Wow a thread full of southern boys!!
Welcome to linux my friend.
I used this guide I believe it was for my install of mplayer. Once I was done, everything worked!!

Oh and I'm from Alabama, birmingham area. Do alot of traveling with work. Been in many parts of Georgia. Great state!

akurashy
February 2nd, 2005, 05:14 AM
w00t! welcome to linux world ^_^

Im not from U.S but is good to see that people from other countries etc etc are here :)!

welcome ^_^

gw90se
February 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM
I am not too far from Kennesaw. I am about 20 miles away. And as for Alabama. I was born and raised in Montgomery. I just moved here a year ago.

I am planning to stick with the Linux this time. It may be a slow go, since I only get an hour or so a day to work with it.

I will probably try the MPlayer install again this weekend, when I have more time to devote to it. If it fails again, I'll post what is happening and see if anyone has any ideas.

Before I dumped Windows off of the linux box, I wrote down all of my systems info. Now I can't find the list. Guess I'll have to see what I can find on here to show me again what equipment I have installed in this old Dell box.

gw90se
March 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Just a little bit of an update. I am still here and still using Ubuntu. I still have my windows box hooked up through a KVM switch, but it only gets turned on occasionally, now. Soon as I get familiar with a few things, it'll be gone. I'll load it over to my wife's desk and then take her Sony to do a new install on as my main machine.

I will say that one of the biggest differences with this distro and my learning curve has to be the How-to's. A tip of my hat to all who have contributed to it. It has been a blessing in walking me through everything so far, with very few questions that it didn't clearly explain.

Of course, when I did have questions, they were answered quickly and precisely. So thanks to you folks, too.

kassetra
March 6th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Of course, when I did have questions, they were answered quickly and precisely. So thanks to you folks, too.

I'm so glad you decided to stick with us! :) We're happy to count you as a member! :)

mark
March 7th, 2005, 01:36 AM
I am not too far from Kennesaw. I am about 20 miles away. And as for Alabama. I was born and raised in Montgomery. I just moved here a year ago.<snip>
Another fellow Southerner! Even though I now currently reside on the Left Coast, I was born in Atlanta - and once owned a house in Kennesaw (my ex-wife cured me of that). Do you ever get to Lake Lanier or Alatoona? They were were great places to get away, when I was still there (1985)....

Oh, BTW - welcome to the forum! I think you'll find a friendly bunch of people here.

Quest-Master
March 7th, 2005, 02:25 AM
What part? How close are you to Kennesaw (sp?)
I have some family there

Oh man..

I live in Kennesaw. :o! Where do your relative live?

gw90se
March 7th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Another fellow Southerner! Even though I now currently reside on the Left Coast, I was born in Atlanta - and once owned a house in Kennesaw (my ex-wife cured me of that). Do you ever get to Lake Lanier or Alatoona? They were were great places to get away, when I was still there (1985)....

I have only lived here a little over a year, but the first time I came over here to visit, I camped at Allatoona. I have been to Lanier once and drove by it several times.