PDA

View Full Version : How does freecycling work

sudoer541
December 22nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Can someone please tell me how freecycling works? How do I go and get an item from them?

Qola
December 22nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Dustbin diving ftw :D

sudoer541
December 22nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
can a UF staff please change the title from "where to get a free laptop" to "how freecycling works?"

starcannon
December 22nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Freecycling works using an email list.

They generally use yahoo groups to organize, though each chapter can make decisions for themselves. Most Freecycle groups require one to apply for membership, a mod/admin reviews the applications, and then your account is activated.

You can find out more about the Toronto group here:
http://www.freecycle.org/group/CA/Ontario/Toronto

And you'll likely need to create a yahoo mail account if you don't have one already, and activate yahoo groups, and then join the Toronto Freecycle group. Once in, you'll start receiving emails from the group. There will be "Wanted" posts, and there will be "Offering" posts. Each group has its set of "do's and don'ts" so read the rules, then let fly your request.

GL and HF

P.S. be sure to take advantage of Craigslist free section. http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/zip/

sudoer541
December 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Freecycling works using an email list.

They generally use yahoo groups to organize, though each chapter can make decisions for themselves. Most Freecycle groups require one to apply for membership, a mod/admin reviews the applications, and then your account is activated.

You can find out more about the Toronto group here:
http://www.freecycle.org/group/CA/Ontario/Toronto

And you'll likely need to create a yahoo mail account if you don't have one already, and activate yahoo groups, and then join the Toronto Freecycle group. Once in, you'll start receiving emails from the group. There will be "Wanted" posts, and there will be "Offering" posts. Each group has its set of "do's and don'ts" so read the rules, then let fly your request.

GL and HF

P.S. be sure to take advantage of Craigslist free section. http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/zip/

thanks for the information starcanon

I spent some time reading about freecycle and I like the idea except that you have to go to the person's home or even meet in different places.
basically what I am looking for is something very similar to freecycle, but other than going to different places, I want to go to one location such as a general depot station and pick an item from there.

is there such a place?

starcannon
December 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
thanks for the information starcanon

I spent some time reading about freecycle and I like the idea except that you have to go to the person's home or even meet in different places.
basically what I am looking for is something very similar to freecycle, but other than going to different places, I want to go to one location such as a general depot station and pick an item from there.

is there such a place?
Not that I've ever heard of, maintaining a depot costs a fair chunk of money, Freecycle is more of a share and share alike type of a group, so the goods are where ever they originate from. Same with Craigslist "free" section.

The safest way to do things is to take a friend with you, and/or meet in a public location. The downside to meeting in a public location is, sometimes the giver is not willing to be bothered with taking time out of their day to travel to another location.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Gizenshya
December 22nd, 2009, 11:59 PM
Wow... this is the first time I've ever heard this term... but as I was reading your original post, a story on the news about someone 'freecycling' came on! what are the odds of that? hmmm...

anyway, I don't know the answer to whether or not that type of freecycling exists... BUT, it does sound like a good idea. The only downside is that there would need to be a place to inventory the items. This is actually expensive, and that's probably why it is mostly in mailing lists, which seem to basically serve as digital inventory lists. There are also new logistics problems that would come up, even if it would solve certain others.

There are other similar types of (organizations?), such as Craig's List. There are a zillion F5-ers and it would be very hard to casually beat one of them to any decent barter deal.

dragos240
December 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
You can get a free laptop from a yardsale. Ones that have 98 on them are as good as junk to most. But if they work, they can be a host to a nice light linux distro. We have many old lappys at home :). Cya!

razorboy5
December 23rd, 2009, 12:10 AM
there was a show on discovery channel called Junk Raiders i believe (set in Toronto) about group of people "freecycling" their way to building a high end loft

on one of the episodes the tech guy went to one of the storage places (in Toronto) and picked up a LCD TV for free. (He explained after picking it up these places usually dont carry working TVs but every once in a while they do get lucky) Wasn't paying too much attention to it until he got the TV and not quite sure what they called it... but there are places like that i guess

trying to find episodes of Junk Raiders so i can pay more attention to where he went :P

jayze
December 23rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
Only au fait with the UK.......www.recycle.co.uk........LETS schemes (local economy trading systems)(pump it into google)....timebanks(pump it into google)...you may find some info or leads from Woofers or Diggers and Dreamers....):P

sudoer541
December 23rd, 2009, 04:18 AM
thanks for the info people!
Yes I am looking for an ancient laptop that I can install ubuntu on.
ill look for yard sales during the summer if I am lucky.
btw thanks to UF staff for changing the title of this thread!

sudoer541
December 23rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
OMG!!! I just found a better alternative to Freecycle! Its called Goodwill, they actually have physical stores that you can buy stuff from them. Anyone ever used them? heard about them?

sudoer541
December 23rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
I also found the Salvation Army thrift store...OMG!!!

any experience with the Salvation army thrift store and Goodwill store?:) I am a bit excited lol!

do they sell electronics such as laptops, cameras and Tvs?

sudoer541
December 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Does anyone know if the items there are clean?

LowSky
December 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
The SA and Goodwill stuff is clean. They only "sell" the stuff that is in good condition and all clothes are sent for cleaning before selling.

They sell whatever is donated. I know people who have found TVs and Couches there. And plenty of people try to find old antiques and resell them at much higher prices.

sudoer541
December 23rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
The SA and Goodwill stuff is clean. They only "sell" the stuff that is in good condition and all clothes are sent for cleaning before selling.

They sell whatever is donated. I know people who have found TVs and Couches there. And plenty of people try to find old antiques and resell them at much higher prices.

Thanks for comforting me Lowsky! I am coming from a clean-freak-family so if things aren't clean then there is a issue lol.
I found a $25 laptop on the goodwill' US online store but I cant find the Canadian online store.

sudoer541
December 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
I will visit either a goodwill or a SA store in early 2010. I hope I will find a cheap laptop:popcorn: