PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favorite singer?

Hwæt
December 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
The late great Brad Delp. His wide vocal range was truly amazing.

Who're y'all's?

RiceMonster
December 22nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Blinda Butcher from My Bloody Valentine

One of the nicest voices I've heard.

sailthesea
December 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Mike Patton

Check out Mr Bungle!

s.fox
December 22nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
My partner in the shower :) So funny to hear :)

chucky chuckaluck
December 22nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
louis armstrong

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
The late great Brad Delp. His wide vocal range was truly amazing.

Who're y'all's?

agreed - awesome vocalist.

running_rabbit07
December 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
The chick that plays Rafiki in the Lion King Broadway Show in Las Vegas. She played that role when the show was in Australia, New York, and now in Las Vegas.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Alyssa White-gluz from The Agonist

cascade9
December 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Blinda Butcher from My Bloody Valentine

One of the nicest voices I've heard.

I always think that shes singing through a chorus (or possible flanger) pedal myself. That could be Kevin Shields doing falsetto that makes me think that. Great sound however they did it.

BTW- you have tried Curve, right? Toni Hallidays voice is pretty decent as well. :D

Isengrin
December 22nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
The gal from Power Symphony. So strong, strident and yet so cute.

fatcrab
December 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Brenda Lee

gutterslob
December 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Bjork (I'm serious)

Special mention to Beth Gibbons of Portishead

RiceMonster
December 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Bjork (I'm serious)

Why wouldn't you be serious? I was considering picking her myself as well.

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Bjork (I'm serious)

whoever doesn't acknowledge Bjork as a great singer has no real knowledge of music.

MooPi
December 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
It's a toss up between Hayley Westenra and Norah Jones. If Norah sang about toenails and fungus I'd appreciate it.

hyperdude111
December 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Got to be Michael Jackson.

gutterslob
December 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Why wouldn't you be serious? I was considering picking her myself as well.

Well, cos my partner can't appreciate Bjork, so I presumed it was the general consensus.

speedwell68
December 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Bruce Dickinson.

hellion0
December 22nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Da5id Din of Informatik.

RiceMonster
December 22nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Bruce Dickinson.

I thought he was a producer?

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/8/38/Walken-Cowbell.0.0.0x0.390x292.jpeg

Shibblet
December 22nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Karen Matheson.

lisati
December 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
So many worthy of mention! So many genres to consider!

Mrs Lisati wants some recognition, but does being told to mention her count?

edit: Karen Carpenter is definitely worth a mention.

Maheriano
December 22nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Wow, I'm about to go pretty much the opposite from anyone else here. I have to name a few since they all pay respect to their respectable genres.

Jay-Z - A rapper that has never written down a rhyme. Seriously, he just makes things up off the top of his head, makes it rhyme and then performs it in concert, it's ridiculous. Plus the only musical artist to ever have more number 1 albums is the Beatles, he just beat out Elvis and The Rolling Stones.

Christina Aguilera - One of the most incredible voices I have ever heard with such a wide range. She got her biggest break when she got picked for the Milan soundtrack for her ability to hit the high E over middle C note that nobody else could seem to do at the time. Since her debut album she has started to have a more hands on role with her albums and as a result she has worked with famous producers like Scott Storch and recently worked with DJ Premier, one of the top producers in the industry right now.

Dido - There's something about her voice that sounds so soft and relaxing but is still very powerful and delivers quite a message. She is also a musical genius, she holds formal education in 4 or 5 instruments including the recorder, something I never thought could actually produce good music. She actually plays most of the instruments on her album and records them one at a time, editing them together in post-production.

Keb' Mo - A Blues singer that was playing when I was in a store one day. I liked it so much I asked the employees who it was and have loved his music ever since. He's got such a great flow and amazing voice with a load of energy behind his music. I honestly don't dislike any of his songs and that's rare for an artist.

So ya, if I had to listen to any vocalist it would likely be one of these four.

pirlo89
December 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
amy lee, she rock :)

Georgia boy
December 22nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
One of mine was Dean Martin. Another one is Rod Stewart and Kim Carnes. Sorry, like those voices they have especially when Kim does the Bette Davis Eyes.

Tom

samigina
December 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
David Bowie!!!!!

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
You get three guesses...

SuperSonic4
December 22nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
I thought he was a producer?

Negative, he sings in Iron Maiden as well as being a solo artist

I'd probably say Amy Lee although Steve Perry is a close second

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Bruce Dickinson.

He is number 2

running_rabbit07
December 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Wow, I'm about to go pretty much the opposite from anyone else here. I have to name a few since they all pay respect to their respectable genres.

Jay-Z - A rapper that has never written down a rhyme. Seriously, he just makes things up off the top of his head, makes it rhyme and then performs it in concert, it's ridiculous. Plus the only musical artist to ever have more number 1 albums is the Beatles, he just beat out Elvis and The Rolling Stones.

Christina Aguilera - One of the most incredible voices I have ever heard with such a wide range. She got her biggest break when she got picked for the Milan soundtrack for her ability to hit the high E over middle C note that nobody else could seem to do at the time. Since her debut album she has started to have a more hands on role with her albums and as a result she has worked with famous producers like Scott Storch and recently worked with DJ Premier, one of the top producers in the industry right now.

Dido - There's something about her voice that sounds so soft and relaxing but is still very powerful and delivers quite a message. She is also a musical genius, she holds formal education in 4 or 5 instruments including the recorder, something I never thought could actually produce good music. She actually plays most of the instruments on her album and records them one at a time, editing them together in post-production.

Keb' Mo - A Blues singer that was playing when I was in a store one day. I liked it so much I asked the employees who it was and have loved his music ever since. He's got such a great flow and amazing voice with a load of energy behind his music. I honestly don't dislike any of his songs and that's rare for an artist.

So ya, if I had to listen to any vocalist it would likely be one of these four.

JayZ has never held a chord in his life. He is a good rapper, but not a singer.

Hwæt
December 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Steve Perry is a close second

Not unless he got back together with Journey.

nmccrina
December 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Kate Bush!

I'm surprised Bono hasn't been mentioned yet.

judge jankum
December 22nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Johnny Cash

Maheriano
December 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
JayZ has never held a chord in his life. He is a good rapper, but not a singer.

He opens his mouth and sound comes out, that's singing. Whether or not he holds notes or passes your qualifications for being a singer is irrelevant. Kelly Clarkson won American Idol (and she's actually good) without ever having vocal training or knowing anything about holding notes.

running_rabbit07
December 22nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
He opens his mouth and sound comes out, that's singing. Whether or not he holds notes or passes your qualifications for being a singer is irrelevant. Kelly Clarkson won American Idol (and she's actually good) without ever having vocal training or knowing anything about holding notes.

Oh...Kay... If you say so.

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
He opens his mouth and sound comes out, that's singing.

so if i burp, i'm singing?

negative.

chucky chuckaluck
December 22nd, 2009, 11:59 PM
Kelly Clarkson won American Idol (and she's actually good) without ever having vocal training or knowing anything about holding notes.

after winning american idol, she started working with seth riggs as she was pretty unsatisfied with her break.

gutterslob
December 23rd, 2009, 12:02 AM

negative.
Burp=Sing=Profit

Sounds like a plan. Dignity might take a hit, but we'd all be as rich as MTV rappers, at least. :P

RATM_Owns
December 23rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
1st:
Karl Willetts (from Bolt Thrower). I dunno, I just love his voice. Especially on Those Once Loyal.

2nd:
Chris Barnes (from Six Feet Under, ex-Cannibal Corpse, ex-Torture Killer). Barnsey is awesome.

3rd:
Chuck Schuldiner (from Death, Control Denied, Voodoocult). Chuck is god. R.I.P.

4th:
Jeff Walker (from Carcass, ex-Electro Hippies, ex-Blackstar). Original goregrind singer. And best melodic death metal singer in Heartwork and Swansong (yeah, you heard me).

5th:
Frank Mullen (from Suffocation). Hell, he did the basis for ALL death growls on Effigy of the Forgotten. He's obligatory.

Honorable Mentions:
- Maynard James Keenan (from Tool, A Perfect Circle)
- John Gallagher (from Dying Fetus)
- Sean Beasley (from Dying Fetus)

forrestcupp
December 23rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
Bobby McFerrin. He can do things with his voice that other people can't even dream about.

RiceMonster
December 23rd, 2009, 01:50 AM
Negative, he sings in Iron Maiden as well as being a solo artist

Yes I know, I was just making a joke about the "more cowbell" sketch from SNL.

MooPi
December 23rd, 2009, 02:11 AM
Well lets all be glad there isn't any sound on the forum.

negative.

Exodist
December 23rd, 2009, 03:19 AM
I had to think about this for a long time, I have many artist that I think sing very good.
But all in all, I believe Fiona Apple is my fav singer of all time.

pwnst*r
December 23rd, 2009, 03:20 AM
Well lets all be glad there isn't any sound on the forum.

true, because i'm betting cow farts are pretty damn loud.

venator260
December 23rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
Jari Mäenpää (Wintersun ex-Ensiferum(sadly))

wilee-nilee
December 23rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
Billy Holiday, but I am a instrumental musician, I like the players most of the time.

running_rabbit07
December 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Billy Holiday, but I am a instrumental musician, I like the players most of the time.

I can relate to that. I love instrumentation. I would have been happy if James Hetfield had just sat back and jammed without singing in the S&M album. I just love music.

marshmallow1304
December 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
1) Layne Staley
2) Chris Cornell
3) Jerry Cantrell
4) Jack Black

Of those, Layne is far and away the best.

handy
December 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Not necessarily my favourite, but it came to my mind just now:

Bette Midler singing "When a Man Loves a Woman" in the movie "The Rose"

Boy can Bette evoke some powerful emotion!

wilee-nilee
December 23rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
I can relate to that. I love instrumentation. I would have been happy if James Hetfield had just sat back and jammed without singing in the S&M album. I just love music.

I like Metallica, but I listen to Megadeth most often (in the metal vein) actually for the lyrics, and the slightly altered harmonic structure, a little social comment is good though.

Funny thing about music is that many cultures came up with the similar harmonic structures and relative pitches to play at with out a known shared history. And birds and other species use pitch in communications that are in the same relative area, a rather strange continuity.

chucky chuckaluck
December 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
I had to think about this for a long time, I have many artist that I think sing very good.
But all in all, I believe Fiona Apple is my fav singer of all time.

i love her version of "across the universe".

madnessjack
December 23rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Phil Lynott, closely followed by Kelly Jones, Jamie Lenman and Kurt Cobain

cascade9
December 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Bruce Dickinson.He is number 2

Umm...lose 666 points and go back to listen to 'number of the beast' again. He is not a number, he is a free man! (and if he is a jumber, he is number 6)

Bjork (I'm serious)

Bjork can sing......but she talks like a duck LOL.

pwnst*r
December 23rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
1) Layne Staley
2) Chris Cornell
3) Jerry Cantrell
4) Jack Black

Of those, Layne is far and away the best.

1-3, yes. great list.

SuperSonic4
December 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Yes I know, I was just making a joke about the "more cowbell" sketch from SNL.

My bad, I'm not very au courant :p

ve4cib
December 23rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Jan Johnston and Justine Suissa have both done some pretty awesome vocals on assorted tracks I've listened to. I'd definitely put them among my favourite female vocalists, along with Esthero, Imogen Heap (formerly of Frou Frou), and Lou Rhodes (formerly of Lamb).

For male vocalists I've got to say my favourites are probably Noel Gallagher (formerly of Oasis -- and not to be confused with his brother and the lead singer Liam), David Usher (formerly of Moist), Thom Yorke (of Radiohead), and Gary Lightbody (of Snow Patrol).

RedSquirrel
December 23rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Peter Gabriel
Jon Anderson (Yes)
Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)
Geddy Lee (Rush)

And a big ++ to Chris Cornell. He's amazing.

ad_267
December 23rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Marvin Gaye.

sgosnell
December 24th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Ella Fitzgerald. Hands down.