PDA

View Full Version : 27 " tv dead..not turning on

sports fan Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Is it possible for a crt tv to just possibly not turn on after I rehooked up everything correctly? The power button on the TV doesn't even light up when I push it. Anything I can try? (was working before, but took a small tumble when the cords got tangled up)

Grenage
December 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
but took a small tumble when the cords got tangled up

Lol, I think you might be on to something here :) If in doubt, unplug it all and then try powering it up.

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
lol

sports fan Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
just noticed the "imput" is not connected to the "imput" of the tv..would that make a difference?

sports fan Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
So much for me trying to attempt things by myself! :)

alphaniner
If the power light is not coming on, 'imput' is the least of your problems.

RiceMonster
My laptop doesn't work after a small tumble off a 10 story building. What's going on here?

hessiess
December 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
As you say "but took a small tumble when the cords got tangled up" Some of the wiring/the vacuum tube has probably gotten damaged. CRT TV's run on very hight voltages (10's of thousands of volts) and can store that charge for a long period of time, so don't open it. Find a TV repair shop.

sydbat
December 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Time for a new TV.

koleoptero
My laptop doesn't work after a small tumble off a 10 story building. What's going on here?

It's only taking a recuperative rest. Let nature take care of things.

pwnst*r

Earth's second moon is called Cruithne. It was discovered in 1986 and it takes a convoluted horseshoe path around our planet as it is tossed about by the Earth's and the Moon's gravity.

Hwæt
December 22nd, 2009, 05:50 PM

Do you have Unbreakable™ Linux® installed?

Paqman
December 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
don't open it

Good advice! The inside of a CRT is a dangerous place.

Just to be even clearer, these voltages will still be present even after the TV has been off and unplugged for some time.

sports fan Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
this is true. Oddly enough the converter box is working.

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
this is true. Oddly enough the converter box is working.

so you dropped that too? i don't understand what's so odd about that. your converter box will withstand quite a bit more than your crt.

LowSky
December 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
You DROPPED a large Glass, Plastic and Metal Box, And you expect its going to be fine?

I have a brige I'm looking to sell

Grenage
December 22nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
your converter box will withstand quite a bit more than your crt.

Clearly an unfounded statement; it's time for in depth testing ;)

iponeverything
December 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
27" crt is fairly heavy. It would be hard to believe that it could withstand much in terms of shock.

Have you been looking for an excuse to get that new LCD flat panel?

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Clearly an unfounded statement; it's time for in depth testing ;)

had to be said.

cariboo
December 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Actually crt's are fairly robust. May parents used to sell home entertainment equipment, they had a tv rental division as part of the business. It's surprising how much abuse a crt will handle before breaking. I remember one year a customer brought back a tv after having rented it for several years that had a huge chip of glass broken off of the face of the crt, it was about 3/4" deep and about 4" in diameter. The only reason he brought it back is because someone told him that he might be affected by radiation with such a large chip in the front of the crt.

sports fan Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
let me clarify...the picture is not cracked . There is a small bit of cracking on the top of the tv just below the top of it.

Grenage
December 22nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
I think cracks are a moot point here, it doesn't turn on. Get it repaired or replace it. :)

sports fan Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
too much money for a repair these days and I was told it cant be...lol oh well..off to the pawn shop i go :)

hoppipolla
December 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
I fixed a massive lcd tv once that didnt turn on, I just replaced the power board - the tv is currently downstairs still working! :)

Erm, yeah if you hooked everything up fine it might be busted, and as people said attempting to fix a crt while half of it will still be live is a bad move, I dont know if theres anyway to remove the charge from it o.O

A TV repair shop might be your best bet but maybe shop around so you dont get ripped off or anything! also, crts are well cheap these days so yeah you could just replace it :)

Grenage
December 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
oh well..off to the pawn shop i go

All very well, but what will you play it on?

darco
December 22nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
I purchased a 55" Mitsubishi HDTV in 2002. Earlier this year, after a power outage, I couldnt get the tv to power up, just a blinking green power light.
A TV tech wanted to charge me $400
After researching this issue on the 'net. I was able to pull out the DM module, purchase 7 hi quality capacitors, took the DM module to a tv repairman, and for $25 he soldered the caps into the board.
Perfectly working tv!

darco

sports fan Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Got another tv at mom's even though its a smaller one 19". It will work until I can get a better model.

sports fan Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
A big thank you to my brother's boss for giving me a tv about the same size as the one i broke. This means there are truly generous people out there. :) I am amazed.

LowSky
December 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Well you can't just throw away a TV because it technically hazardous waste, so him giving it to you is cheaper than finding a dump to take it.

sports fan Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah, my brother called and said it's in good working order at his car audio shop. He informed me his boss has tv's laying around the office..

alphaniner
December 22nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Presumably the TV he got is working, so it could have gone to the Salvation Army or something. The question is, what will he do with his broken one?

Dun-dun-dun...

sudoer541
December 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
I think I just jinxed you lol! I already opened a thread yesterday asking what to do if my new TV breaks after warranty expires. wow what a coincidence. My suggestion is to buy the same TV I am buying 32" Samsung. I forgot the model number but you can look it up if you go to the thread "warranty or no warranty" and find the model number. I heard really good reviews about Samsung TVs.

btw the TV is on sale at Best buy Canada, I havent checked if the price is the same in the US.

Edit: your Tv broke just after you ordered DirecTV. It will be installed on Wednesday, right?

edit2! btw I found the model number of the TV that I was referring to. the model number is:

(LN32B460)

sports fan Matt
December 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
I know here in the states there are laws about recycling old tv's computers and so on.

Grenage
December 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
I heard really good reviews about Samsung TVs

I have a Samsung 32" 720 screen, got it about a year and a half ago. Very happy with it.

sudoer541
December 22nd, 2009, 09:49 PM
I have a Samsung 32" 720 screen, got it about a year and a half ago. Very happy with it.

Hey thanks for the testimony! are you talking about the (LN32B460) model?

gletob
December 22nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Well you technically can't just throw away a TV because it technically hazardous waste, so him giving it to you is cheaper than finding a dump to take it.

There fixed that for you.

pricetech
December 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM

I used to work in a repair center where we saw lots of laptops that looked like they had.

cariboo
December 22nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Up here in BC, we have electronics recycling depots were I take almost everything electronic. There is now a $35.00 recycling fee on televisons, monitors, computer and even peripherals. I notice the other day when I bought a cheap wireless mouse there was a $5.00 recycling fee on it to.

Marvin666
December 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I've had a crt monitor refuse to power up for no good reason. Stripped it down for parts, threw the remains in a dumpster, and put the crt out in my shed.

Grenage
December 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hey thanks for the testimony! are you talking about the (LN32B460) model?

It's big and black ;) Back of the TV says: LE32M86BD

sudoer541
December 22nd, 2009, 10:48 PM
It's big and black ;) Back of the TV says: LE32M86BD

thanks for sharing:) I want to buy the 32" TV but most people in my family find it too small for our living room.

Grenage
December 22nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
I would generally agree, the 32" Samsung is for my anime-watching rig, lol.

sports fan Matt
December 23rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
got the new tv..waiting for the install tech. :)

sudoer541
December 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
I would generally agree, the 32" Samsung is for my anime-watching rig, lol.

I guess you're right about the size of the TV. I am going to start looking at 40" or more to see if this satisfies my family members.