PDA

View Full Version : recommend me a distro

chris200x9
December 22nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I am an avid distro hopper, lately I have been using arch and love it but I feel bored I need a change. I'm really looking at crux, going back to gentoo, and maybe trying slackware. I'm leaning to crux, but I'd like to hear your opinions and maybe even some other suggestions. Also freebsd I have it on my server and really liking it.

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
i have used crux extensively and its fantastic, Slack was one of the first distro's i ever tried. so go ahead. Sorcerer, Lunar, and SourceMage are other good candidates. Sorcerer is my absolute favorite, and it was also the one that took me quite a while to setup.

Have you tried LFS? it's a lot of fun, i loved it.

~sHyLoCk~
December 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Here comes 1000 posts about distro X. :D
I'd recommend Slackware and Lunar.

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Another word of advice about Lunar.When you build the core package tool in That's because of sourceforge overhauling some of their download pages. But there's a workaround.

chris200x9
December 22nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Have you tried LFS? it's a lot of fun, i loved it.
yes, I failed at it :(

Here comes 1000 posts about distro X. :D
I'd recommend Slackware and Lunar.

awesome I have actually looked at lunar, I know the differences gentoo but how does it stack up against crux and sourcemage?

edit: I'm thinking of going with lunar, am I correct in assuming it's a rolling release? For example it has something comperable to
emerge -u world
sorry if thats not spot on havent used gentoo for a long time :D
edit 2: looks like crux it is, I need kernel 2.6.28+ for my wireless card...

~sHyLoCk~
December 22nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Yes Lunar is rolling.
http://wiki.lunar-linux.org/index.php/Lunar_Linux

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
yes, I failed at it :(

awesome I have actually looked at lunar, I know the differences gentoo but how does it stack up against crux and sourcemage?

edit: I'm thinking of going with lunar, am I correct in assuming it's a rolling release? For example it has something comperable to

I was a former Gentoo user, but i am not a big fan. Tools used by Lunar and Sorcerer are very simple and i can easily modify them as i wish.

Yes lunar is a rolling release. But as i mentioned earlier, you are bound to experience the download problem when you us the Lacus Autmni iso.

Lunar and SourceMage were forked out of Sorcerer. Sorcerer was the grand daddy of 'em all. Sorcerer is the best in my opinion though.It's the only Linux distro that i still use, i have moved to BSD's.

Isengrin
December 22nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
If you want fun, try older releases of distros. Redhat 9.0, to put an example.
If you want useful fun, go for Gentoo.
Since you are an avid distro hopper, just keep yourself away from Arch or you'll never be able to hop again. XD

BrokenKingpin
December 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Sabayon is decent.

scouser73
December 23rd, 2009, 02:24 AM
I hear Windows Vista is all the rage these days pmsl.

Qola
December 23rd, 2009, 02:25 AM
I hear Windows Vista is all the rage these days pmsl.

Eh, eh, caaaaaaaaalm down :P

Linuxforall
December 23rd, 2009, 02:40 AM
Try sidux one of the fastest linux distros out there. Its quicker than arch.

Hwæt
December 23rd, 2009, 03:12 AM
I heard about this awesome distro called Ubuntu. You might want to try it sometime.

On a serious note: Go for OpenSuSE's KDE version. Very, very nice implementation.

~sHyLoCk~
December 23rd, 2009, 03:25 AM
On a serious note: Go for OpenSuSE's KDE version. Very, very nice implementation.

second

But judging from OP's choices I'd doubt he wnts another GUI-OS. :P

Hwæt
December 23rd, 2009, 03:29 AM
But judging from OP's choices I'd doubt he wnts another GUI-OS. :P

Good point, he could always try Debian Sid.

"Look ma! An update broke x.org and now we get to watch text scroll down the vc for an hour!"

~sHyLoCk~
December 23rd, 2009, 03:32 AM
Good point, he could always try Debian Sid.

"Look ma! An update broke x.org and now we get to watch text scroll down the vc for an hour!"

What if he doesn't install X? Why are you assuming he uses X? What if he is a uber cool l33t hacker who likes to watch text scroll up n down. But then again, he wouldn't be asking for distro rec in ubuntu forum. Hmm. :D

Hwæt
December 23rd, 2009, 03:34 AM
What if he is a uber cool l33t hacker who likes to watch text scroll up n down.

I've used nothing but a VC for a month on Arch Linux. I didn't feel über 1337 either, I just felt like I was too lazy to reconfigure X.

~sHyLoCk~
December 23rd, 2009, 03:57 AM
I've used nothing but a VC for a month on Arch Linux. I didn't feel über 1337 either, I just felt like I was too lazy to reconfigure X.

Naww..X is good. Those cool wobbly effects make my day. :p
On a serious note: I also recommend NetBSD. It's simply awesome!
Also:
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-operating-systems-you-ve-never-heard-of-657469