PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation problems with monitor

mortalapeman
December 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
When I put the ubuntu cd into my computer, the installation process does fine for the initial questions of whether i want to run a live cd or i just want to install it on my hard drive immediately, it also shows the loading screen that appears before the graphical installer. But after that, my monitor just says "input not supported". It also does this if i try to run a live cd.

My dad and I built this pc like 5 years back, so its not exactly a standard build, but we didn't put anything special in it. And since i wasn't exactly hardware savy then and still I am not now, I am not sure what the problem might be. I was thinking that there might be a driver missing or something, but I wanted ask to see if anyone else had any ideas as to what might be wrong. And if it is a driver, how would i go about getting and installing this driver into the .iso?

Thanks guys!

mortalapeman
December 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
I thought that i might add that I'm only having trouble trying to install debian based distros, which is my prefered distro. I've tried Vector Linux, which is slackware based, and it installed perfectly. I've also tried kubuntu 9.10 and ubuntu 9.04 but those get the same result. SimplyMEPIS gets me to the live CD login but when i login it just shows the background.

My computer can run Windows XP and 7 as i have tried them both, i just don't want XP anymore and there isn't currently any ethernet driver support for my hardware on Windows 7, so no internet.

Does anyone have any questions i could answer, like "what type of monitor i have?" that might help out with an answer to my problem?

mortalapeman
December 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
bump 0o