PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] apt-get udate some?

rodmacpherson
December 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know of a way to script apt-get to upgrade all but a predefined list of packages? I'd like to be able to hold back certain packages for compatibility reasons, but automatically update anything else.

Namely, I want to NOT auto upgrade the kernel as that will break compatibility with VMWare Server until the kernel components of VMWare are recompiled (somthing i"d like to be in front of the machine to do) but I'd like all of the rest of the packages to upgrade as they are released.

starcraft.man
December 22nd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know of a way to script apt-get to upgrade all but a predefined list of packages? I'd like to be able to hold back certain packages for compatibility reasons, but automatically update anything else.

Namely, I want to NOT auto upgrade the kernel as that will break compatibility with VMWare Server until the kernel components of VMWare are recompiled (somthing i"d like to be in front of the machine to do) but I'd like all of the rest of the packages to upgrade as they are released.

Easy enough, either use Synaptic manager or Aptitudes commands/curses interface to put a hold on the appropriate packages. There's no need for a script. In Synaptic you for instance select the designated package (check in main window) and go Package Menu > Lock version. Same as a hold.

snowpine
December 22nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
You can also do it from the terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

will not upgrade your kernel.