PDA

View Full Version : Folding At Home GPU for Linux?

Psumi
December 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Just wondering if it is/was possible or there is a client for GPU folding for linux.

I really dislike using my CPU Power for folding when I have an nvidia GTS that can pack away over 4000 points a day, in comparison to the 1000 to 1500 of my PS3 or CPU.

lukjad
December 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
It's possible to run it through wine sometimes. It depends on the card and how much effort you are willing to spend. Also, the GPU client is less stable sometimes.

Psumi
December 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
It's possible to run it through wine sometimes. It depends on the card and how much effort you are willing to spend. Also, the GPU client is less stable sometimes.

Wine's goal is software compatibility, not hardware though.

If I upgrade to a Quad Core (Intel Core 2 Quad is my max) then I can use the SMP Client to take up more than one CPU.

Might be quite some time though before that happens (As I will need a better power supply.)

starcraft.man
December 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Wine's goal is software compatibility, not hardware though.

If I upgrade to a Quad Core (Intel Core 2 Quad is my max) then I can use the SMP Client to take up more than one CPU.

Might be quite some time though before that happens (As I will need a better power supply.)

If your aiming for maximum points a day, I'll tell you before you spend that a quad core is unlikely to approach the output of the GTS, or close. It's a good investment all around if you need it for other things though, like threaded encoding and other cpu tasks. I just don't think ya'd wanna get one just for folding.

3rdalbum
December 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Not all folding units can run on GPU anyway, as there are calculations that GPUs can't do. So having a good CPU is also good.

gletob
December 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
You can follow this guide that actually does use wine.

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/436453-how-gpu2-folding-linux.html