PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Which modal window managers do you like? And why?

tnek
December 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I've had my eye on modal window managers for quite some time. I have only tried Awesome for a little while, as I new the version I was using had an outdated configuration file format I did not want to invest too much time.

Anyway. One observation I have made, which of course might be wrong, is that people using modal window managers are seldom happy with their manager of choice in the long run. I have read a lot of blog posts praising modal window manager A, only to say later in the comments that the author has now moved on to B instead. So even if you like the modal way of working, choosing a manager seems hard.

I thought we could discuss it a bit? I have some spare time during the holidays and I'm looking to try out some window manager using part of this time.

Which ones do you like? Have you been using modal window manager A and praising it, only to find out after a while that you really like B more? Am my observation above wrong? If you use a modal window manager, do you still use a normal one? Have you tried modal window managers but still quit using them and went back to Gnome/KDE/Whatever?

Thank you for reading! All opinions are of interest! And happy holidays! :KS